Privett Hatchery.... *pics added*

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Brunty_Farms, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Just ordered from Privett, anybody else ever deal with them?

I'm not worried about quality as they are for eggs, I ordered the EE's so we will see about the variety in color of eggs.

I also ordered the Rhode Island Whites and the New Hampshire Reds to "play" with the sex linkage of the golden comets.

Wanting to try to breed my own so I don't have to keep buying these pullets.

October 28th is the hatch date...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    All of my hatchery chicks have come from Purely Poultry which is a broker that uses Privett and mine have all shipped from there.
    EE's I got mostly the redish brown shades but all are nice. My all pullet order had one roo in there.
    Rhode Island Whites-super sweet had them on 2 orders both orders had a runty sized one(almost 4 months and sized about 6 weeks) but also the sweetest in the bunch wouldn't give those away-keep the kids busy but they are not going to be a breeder for us but we have plenty for that.Overall quality is very nice.
    Haven't tried the NH we have RIR's that we cross for sex links but their RIR are very deep compared to other hatcheries no second guessing if they are production reds or NH's so my thinking is the NH would be a nice quality as well.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I ordered form Privett this past July, though I was not at all happy with their customer service, the quality of their birds seems decent. I also ordered RI Whites as well as Buff Orps and SLWs. I do like my RIW pullets, I am going to cross them with a BO roo to make sexlinks also.

I will try to get you some updated pics as thaey are almost 4 mos old now, but here are some pics at 4 wks.

RIW pullet
    [​IMG]

Buff Orp pullet
    [​IMG]

SLW pullet
    [​IMG]

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    HOW did you order from Privett???????

I don't see anything on-line. My feed store buys from them, so I figured it was a bulk deal.

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    11 of my 30 chickens are from the feed store, which orders from Privett. No problems. The remaining birds were ordered from Welp, which drop ships from Privett. So, pretty much all my birds are from there. However, the reason I ordered from Welp instead of Privett directly, is because Welp has better (great!) customer service. Privett has a bad rep for CS. [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I called and ordered by phone with a debit card. It's not just a bulk deal.

I ordered 20 pullets and 12 roos of each of the BOs and SLWs and 8 RIW pullets.

And another thing, unlike other hatcheries I have bought from, Privett did not include extra chicks.

7. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:I called and ordered by phone with a debit card. It's not just a bulk deal.

And another thing, unlike other hatcheries I have bought from, Privett did not include extra chicks.

How did you know what chicks they had? Do you have a catalog? Am I looking at the boring website but they have a full-color spectacular for everyone else?????

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    At the time the website was working fine and you could click on the catalog and see pics of a pair of each breed they had and the chicks and prices, but latly when I try to go on it, it doesn't go any farther than the home page. That must be what it's doing for you too?

9. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Yes. [​IMG] It's done that for months and months, ever since I first looked.

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA

We did get 1 extra, but it was by fluke. They don't cushion like many other hatcheries unfortunately. If you lose a chick or if something is wrong, you can call within 48 hours of receiving the chicks and get a refund. With that said, we ordered 51 chicks, got 52 and only lost 3 (2 within 4 days from failure to thrive, and 1 we culled due to severe cross beak). The rest, plus the 11 via the feed store (privett stock) are all doing great (and all of laying age (between 7.5 mos and 2 yrs).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by