Privett hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jchulsey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. jchulsey

jchulsey In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Does anybody know anything about the quality of the privett hatchery. I just ordered 25 from TSC. I ordered Dominiques. I am new to chickening and want to make sure I am getting birds from a quality source. Thanks!Does anybody know anything about the quality of the privett hatchery. I just ordered 25 from TSC. I ordered Dominiques. I am new to chickening and want to make sure I am getting birds from a quality source. Thanks!

2. Justy0

Justy0 Songster

Mar 28, 2014
    Hi. I have never ordered them myself, but I got my Ducklings from Del's Feed Store and they order all their birds from Privett, and as far as I have seen they are in good condition. Although there was one duckling who had passed away in the pen, but I think that's just part of the fact that baby birds are very sensitive, and like shipping any animal there is a chance small chance some wont make it.

3. spartanchick

spartanchick In the Brooder

I bought 16 last year from from our local farm store that received their's from Privett. They were supposed to be all pullets, but 6 ended up being roosters! Only 1 silkie passed away from unknown causes, the rest had been healthy. The bantam Cochins I gave away because they were really mean little suckers. So this year I ordered from Meyer Hatchery hoping to get better odds of hens instead of roosters. But other than that, their personalities are great, especially the Speckeled Sussex and EE we got, they are so friendly.

4. jchulsey

jchulsey In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Yeah, that is another thing I am worried about. I ordered 7 straight run and 18 pullets because i wanted a rooster. I just hope I don't end up with more than a few roosters. My primary concern was the health, and overall quality. Thank you for your input though. I am trying to learn as much as possible. Being new to this, I don't want to miss anything. Also, if anybody has any early lessons from experience I welcome them!

5. epmchickens

epmchickens Chirping

Apr 8, 2013
    pennsylvania
    For several years I have gotten chicks from my local feed store and they order from privett. They are the healthiest little buggers! May different breeds over the years too lol. This year I picked up 2 little buff cochin pullets and for being only a few days old they have really nice full feet and are bouncing around like crazy. I recommend them.

1 person likes this.
  6. jchulsey

jchulsey In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Alabama
    Thanks for letting me know. I just didn't want to get chickens from some sub standard outfit. Thanks again.

7. dstinett

dstinett Songster

Mar 21, 2014
    Jefferson, TX
    Just got 7 from my tsc. the shipment had just arrived. the chicks looked awful. Lacerations on heads and backs. Some had dried amniotic fluid stuck on them. a few still had eggshell still attached. they are neediest chicks I've ever seen. One of my 7 died. 2 probably won't make it through the day.

8. countrydream7

countrydream7 Chirping

Sep 5, 2013
    why did u take them if they looked awful..i would not have purchased them or complained to the store..

mistymac likes this.
  9. dstinett

dstinett Songster

Mar 21, 2014
    Jefferson, TX
    I took them to give them the best care.

Jenile Volz and Sarah1031 like this.
  10. dstinett

dstinett Songster

Mar 21, 2014
    Jefferson, TX
    I did complain and the manager blew me off. my 9 year old said we can't leave them here to die. I was stuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: