Privileged parking for fuel-efficient cars?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    This seems to be a new trend, at least in my town, especially at new public facilities like schools and libraries. Up near the front, just past the reserved parking spaces for handicapped drivers, are spaces with signs declaring they are for fuel-efficient hybrid vehicles ONLY.

Yes, I understand the premise, they're trying to encourage the public to drive these types of cars and reward those who already have them. But this still bothers me.

Because it's also a form of conceit, a way to entitle the already-entitled. The only reason I don't have a hybrid car to drive is because I cannot afford to buy one and so far no one has given one to me. It's not that I'm so ignorant that I think my 9-year-old minivan is the best choice of vehicle to drive. I imagine that most of us, if given the choice, would prefer to drive something new and efficient and more economical.

What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I agree with you.

Haven't seen any special parking privileges for hybrid vehicles around here, yet.

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    There are a couple spots at our train station reserved for hybrid vehicles. However, there is a note saying your need to show a special permit that states the car is truly a hybrid.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I can assure you that any place that has a sign that restricts parking to hybrid cars (like a handicap spot) is not enforceable and would not be enforced by any governmental authority. Certain places have put up those signs to promote their buildings or areas as "green" but you can pull in there with your 2500 V8 gas guzzler truck and nothing will happen except someone may give you a dirty look. As for driving a nine year old van I dont think that it is ignorant, but rather smart. Probably paid for and it is not depreciating 50% in the first year.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like Capvin, I'm going to assume that these signs have not been placed there by some governmental agency. If that's the case, he's right. Some of the local hospitals have declared their "campus", non-smoking, including the open-air parking lots and sidewalks. The police department was quick to advise the public that they would not enforce that.

As for the older mini-van; my pickup is considerably older than that and I have no desire to "drive something new and efficient and more economical." It serves my purpose.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would visit that town just to park my twelve year old body damaged Corolla in one of those spots. Baby has 161,000 miles on her, and her second best feature is a single CD player, am/fm radio. Her first best feature is she gets 33 miles to the gallon! I'd love to see them argue with that.

Another good feature--I can park in almost any area of town, and literally leave my keys on the front seat while I'm seeing my patient. I only lock the car when I leave my tablet in it. I think the tablet's more valuable than the car--to anyone but me, that is.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

Capvin,.. just wondering.. (and soooo not questioning you..):oops:
    But if it was a private owned parking lot... couldnt they say who parks where??
    Or no?
    Like a school parking lot... i cant see how they can do that.. :/ But a private owned business lot?
    What do you think?

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Our county offices have spaces reserved for hybrids on an honor system and yes I do park my 10 MPG service truck in the space (actually I use two) and go about my business. What erks me is the charging stations they have for the public who drive electric cars at county and state offices and we all are paying for them to get to work.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Parking reserved for Hybrid cars? Ridiculous! I park my Dodge 3500 dually anywhere I want. I park my Dodge Neon anywhere I want. I park the Rubicon anywhere I want. And the 1990 Ford Bronco II is parked where I want it. However, I do respect the handicap signs.

I'm not one of those people who prowl the parking lot for the best spot. I simply park as far away as I can, have a nice walk, and go about my day. Life is too short to worry about parking.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Hybrids---what a crock! I drive a 17 year old Diesel Beast. I did have to get a more economic commuter vehicle, all my research led me to a VW TDI jetta. I'm getting 44 to 45 mpg with it tankful to tankful and up over 50 mpg on longer highway road trips. Several of those Hybrids showed up at the parking lot at work. Every one was discarded within a year when the owners realized the actual cost of those vehicles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by