prized French Blue Footed Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kinnip, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Hi guys, it's been awhile, but I need some help. [​IMG] I spoke with a local chef today who was serving French "Blue Footed Chicken". I looked it up on Wikipedia and came up with this: Poulet de Bresse
    From what stock are these bred? The cost per pound is exorbitant, and I'd like to offer him a good alternative. Are Marans at all close?

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I don't think so................ I think they are going to be hard to find too

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    They remind me of a poor-quality White Jersey Giant.

5. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I wish they were Jersey Giants or coloured Rangers! Those I can get. This guy is paying more than $20/lb for this bird and I still can't compete, even with Marans.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    google Bob Shipley, Modesto CA, blue foot chicken

7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    If they are true Bresse the carcass or meat will have been imported from France. It is in the same class as truffles & fois de gras.
    David

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG] neither of which I like....I'm an uncultured fool apparently! lol!

9. kinnip

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Apparently a Canadian and a Californian, Bob Shipley, managed to import some stock and are selling them as Bresse. I do think it's a stretch, since the flavour of the Bresse is supposed so good due to the soil composition of their part of France. I'm just irritated because I was really hoping to sell some Marans to this chef, but he's more interested in this super-sashimi bird. BTW, I'm not really understanding why proponents of this breed insist it's the only chicken you can eat raw. I know there are some Japanese who would laugh at that suggestion. If the bird is clean and healthy, it's clean and healthy. Claiming that Bresse are salmonella-free seems like some twisted advertising to me.

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I can't see too many people paying that kind of money for raw chicken- especially in the states. When you've spent your entire life being warned against raw chicken and pork.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by