Pro series 4200 help please

DivaB

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
Ohio
My 12 silkie eggs came this morning after a very rough delivery. Box damage was terrible, but no eggs were cracked, so I'm hoping for the best and have them resting right now with small ends down, outside of the incubator. They weren't supposed to be here until Friday...but gotta move on.

I just got the pro series 4200 yesterday and of course in a panic today to get working right. How do you control the humidity in this thing? I've removed water from two wells, left it in the center portion and it's still showing 68 on humidity. I've even removed both plugs.

Should I remove the water from the center well, which is bigger, and try with just one side well at a time? Do you guys remove both plugs?

I've gotten down to 50% with both plugs pulled, I know it's not 45% but will that still work?

50% humidity is perfect. Candle the eggs before setting them and check if the air cells are intact! The rough handling during shipping can cause them to become detached, in which case the eggs should be incubated upright and tilted through a 90* angle instead of turning them, leaving them to rest at a 45* angle after each tilt. Best of luck with your hatch!

Thanks, my candle doesn't get here till next week, so I'm on the hunt through the house right now for something that might work.

50% humidity is perfect. Candle the eggs before setting them and check if the air cells are intact! The rough handling during shipping can cause them to become detached, in which case the eggs should be incubated upright and tilted through a 90* angle instead of turning them, leaving them to rest at a 45* angle after each tilt. Best of luck with your hatch!

Well, I think they were all in the right place, had a couple that I couldn't see much of anything. I really think I needed a better flashlight. This is nerve wracking! How do you all handle this?

It gets easier over time, but even for us old hatchers it's still a bit nerve wrecking at times! I've been hatching on and off for a years now and I still fret a little bit. Especially when hatch day comes!

I use the 4250 and run it dry for the most part with one plug, which is upper 30s lower 40s. I up to 60% at hatch for chicks, 70% for guineas.

Candling can seem hard at first but you'll get the hang of it!

It gets easier over time, but even for us old hatchers it's still a bit nerve wrecking at times! I've been hatching on and off for a years now and I still fret a little bit. Especially when hatch day comes!

Oh boy, I sure hope so, thanks for the encouragement.

I use the 4250 and run it dry for the most part with one plug, which is upper 30s lower 40s. I up to 60% at hatch for chicks, 70% for guineas.

Candling can seem hard at first but you'll get the hang of it!

It never even crossed my mind that dry could work. Thanks for that tip, and yes candling seemed super hard last night, but once the right equipment gets here and I keep looking at the great pictures that you all post, it makes sense, just need to gain the hands on experience.

You all have just been great so far. Thank you!!

Oh boy, I sure hope so, thanks for the encouragement.

It never even crossed my mind that dry could work.  Thanks for that tip, and yes candling seemed super hard last night, but once the right equipment gets here and I keep looking at the great pictures that you all post, it makes sense, just need to gain the hands on experience.  

You all have just been great so far.  Thank you!!

I use an 800 lumen rechargeable headlamp we already had. The brighter the better. Most "candlers" are not brought enough, in my opinion. Then again, I primarily hatch guineas, which are thick shelled.

Back
Top Bottom