Probably a dumb question about bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcited2, Jul 31, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I am sorry if this question is in wrong category. I am not quite sure where some of the things I ask belong.

The question: would this be ok for bedding. In the chicken house/coop? It is made from wood reclaimed wood pulp, no odors of pine and of course no cedar odor , nor oils of either. Supposed to be more absorbent, does better at keeping ammonia levels down, and less prone to bacteria.

Here is a description and details of it: http://www.petco.com/product/3370/Carefresh-Natural-Pet-Bedding.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

If
    it would have better absorption and help keep down ammonia levels better than pine shavings: wouldn't that be safer for bedding?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I don't see how it could be so much better.
    It's still wood shavings, at about 4 times the cost

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I sure wouldn't do it. It would be MONSTRO expensive with no clear benefits.

The smart way to control humidity and ammonia problems is, IMHO, with properly designed ventilation, appropriate sanitation, and not overcrowding your chickens. As opposed to throwing wads of cash at some company that wants its economy stimulated LOL

JMHO,

Pat

4. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks for the answers. They do help. I am going to stay with the pine shavings.

5. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    That's hella expensive for something they're just going to take a dump on. [​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've seen lots of folks going with pine pellet bedding. We use the stuff as kitty litter. It's cheaper to buy the huge bags for $5 at Tractor Suppy than a smaller bag for $10 at Petsmart! Same stuff, different name, works just a good. gets fluffy when dampend. Keeps smell down. I've been using it for years in the cat boxes

7. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Would they confuse the pellets and think it is feed pellets and eat? I had seen the pelleted bedding, but wondered if they would eat it.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Would they confuse the pellets and think it is feed pellets and eat? I had seen the pelleted bedding, but wondered if they would eat it.

They should be fine. Friend of mine used it with day old chicks and had no problems.

9. empireranch

empireranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    I use the carefresh product in the rabbit's litter box - I have found this to be the best product for the rabbit (she is litter box trained). It is very expensive and I use a relatively small amount, but do have to change it out daily. IMO it would not be cost effective or suitable for chickens; I am currently using aspen shavings. Just started using a rice hull/flake bedding for the horse - pretty cheap and more comfy for the horse - not sure how that might work for the chickens - only used it for a week - it does attract the wild birds though.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by