Probably a dumb question but

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BridgetBarger, Feb 2, 2014.

1. BridgetBarger

BridgetBarger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    SE Kansas
    Can you have ducks if you don't have a pond? Do they stay around like chickens? We have chickens and guineas but my daughter really wants a duck.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    I have two ducks that live with my chickens in an enclosed run - a Pekin and a Swedish. In the summer we put a wading pool out there (water has to be changed frequently). In the winter on warmer days I will take a large Rubbermaid tote out for them to splash in. They are very messy compared to chickens IMO. I have had absolutely no issues with the Swedish, and so far we've dealt with bumblefoot and a prolapse in the Pekin. The Pekin is a real sweetheart though.

1 person likes this.
  3. BridgetBarger

Apr 20, 2013
    SE Kansas
    We will probably give them a try this spring. At least give it a go.[​IMG]

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

No, you don't need a pond. They will stay around, once they learn where home is. They are much more creatures of habit than chickens.

They will love a chance to bathe, and you can supply that need with a feed tub, a kiddy wading pool, or a deep sled. But, they don't need a pond.

They will need to be able to dunk their head completely in water to drink. And they need a different feed than chickens. Some breeds need a small pool to mate successfully.

1 person likes this.
  5. BridgetBarger

Apr 20, 2013
    SE Kansas
    Thanks great to know[​IMG]. That makes my daughter Bethany very happy.

6. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    In regards to feed, I just get pellets that are designed for all poultry instead of trying to segregate them...

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Many ducklings seem to need extra niacin (more than chick starter has), so adding niacin at 100 mg to a gallon of water may be a good idea, to head off leg and nervous system problems.

I have also been seeing some discussion about other B vitamins being needed more by some ducklings, and have been wondering if perhaps B Complex might be a way to go.

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks is the source for the extra niacin information, by the way, specifically 100 to 150 mg per gallon of water for any ducklings displaying signs of niacin deficiency, for I think they say several weeks.

Just something to know before you get started.

There is a sticky on raising ducklings - the link to all stickies is at the top of the Duck Forum index, and then you can scroll down to the one on Raising Ducklings. Other good threads there, too.

8. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    As everyone has said, they always need to be able to dunk for drinking water so something like a dishpan works better than a typical poultry waterer. The more often you can provide something for them to bathe in (kiddie pool or even a large dishpan) the happier they will be and the nicer their feathers will stay. If you get light or medium breed females, the layer pellets your chickens get will be fine for food as adults. It's only as youngsters that you can't feed them the same food...they absolutely cannot have medicated feed!! FlockRaiser works great. Light & medium breeds will have a lot fewer health problems than heavy breeds like Pekins or Saxony (think typical dual purpose chicken breed versus CornishX). They are VERY messy. They are flock creatures and really do better if you get at least two. I wouldn't ever keep a solitary duck, even with chicken friends.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Balancing the water needs gets to be a steep learning curve, and it is rewarded with healthy ducks. They are so much fun!

Ducklings can drown - there are a number of ways members have been able to provide washing water, since as StruckBy said, they need to be able to wash their little heads. Pictures have been posted of different setups.

Ducklings can get themselves into ridiculous, unimaginable trouble. One member found one of her ducklings had crawled into the waterer. I mean, the little duckling was inside the water storage part of the waterer! I wonder if I can find that photo . . .

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/286957/duckling-in-a-bottle

I rest my case.

10. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    before our ducks had a pond, we had a really big rubber feeder for horses that they splashed around in. they were okay with just that but one of them had medical problems and couldn't stand the heat so he had to always have some kind of water to splash in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by