Probably a silly question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cynthia12, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have heard that some people buy eggs..that are shipped..during the winter months. How is this working for people here..anyone doing this now?
    We are going to have a cold spell this week in Utah, but there are some eggs in AZ that I would love to buy. What do you think??

2. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    it is a gamble no matter when you do it. if you want to try go ahead but don't ever count on it. i have bought and sold sometimes everything hatches sometimes nothing. good luck [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:You've sold during the winter?
    I understand the risk of buying shipped eggs during warmer weather..
    I have 12 out of 16 eggs that go into lockdown on Wed..nice and healthy looking so far. [​IMG]

4. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    i have 5 incubators. i hatch my eggs. i give most to my "friends". i have not sold eggs to be shipped during winter but to local "friends". i like most don't promise anything. one hatch i did for a couple hatched out 19 but the next hatch was only six chicks for the next person. i would never sell a cold/frozen egg please don't misunderstand.

Quote:You've sold during the winter?
    I understand the risk of buying shipped eggs during warmer weather..
    I have 12 out of 16 eggs that go into lockdown on Wed..nice and healthy looking so far. [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ahh, I do understand..thank you for posting back. [​IMG]

6. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Shipping is hard on eggs. Not so much the temperature but the rough handling by USPS. I have 9 in the incubator right now that were shipped on a friday and did not arrive till tuesday. I put them in last tuesday night. I candled them today and 8 of 9 candled good. The other looks like it may be developing but slower than the others. We will see how that goes. Anytime you have them shippd you are taking a chance with them, but most of the time they turn out to be ok unless they were handled really rough. If USPS would happen to leave the out and freeze they would be junk then.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by