probably a stupid question, but i am brand new to this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amysohner, Jun 6, 2011.

1. amysohner

amysohner New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    I just got five "pullets" from a friend of a friend last week. The chicks are from the hens on her farm, she and told me what breeds they were (2 barred rocks, 1 Delaware, 1 Rhode Island Red and one black star). After thinking about this, i realized that she just had one rooster, so I assume that they are not really full breeds. I have never been a pure bred person, but I wonder if this will affect their egg laying, disposition or trying to distinguish hen from rooster.

On that note, she assured me that she thought they were all hens, but that i could exchange them if not. If they turn out to be roos, will it totally disrupt the group if I return it and bring in another hen?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    There are many more experienced chicken lovers here, but many people seem to swap chickens out if they end up with a roo.
    Maybe she got too many pullets and they aren't all from her roo????
    It is quite a mix and I like to see that [​IMG]

Edited: OOPS I see that you said they were from her actual hens... so ???

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    It shouldn't affect their egglaying. Mixed breeds tend to be hardier, so you may end up with better layers than she has!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be interesting to know what breed her rooster is. How old are your pullets? Sounds as though you are off to a great start with a nice mix.

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    hi and [​IMG],
    There are no stupid questions [​IMG]
    We all just keep learning from each other.
    I just want to add that earlier in the year I was having a terrible time incubating
    shipped eggs so Idid a batch of mixed breeds from my layer flock to check my methods.........
    The result is really beautiful pullets that are currently laying like crazy.[​IMG]
    Hope your experience is the same.
    Good Luck and check back with us to let us know howit is going for you.
    Toni

6. amysohner

amysohner New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your help. They are all 7-9 weeks old. The roo was white, and the owner said something about that being a sex link so the chicks would not necessarily match as they do in other breeds. I could have misunderstood, since i am obviously new to this whole thing. I am glad to know they are potentially hardier if a mixed breed. I am very excited about them, and can't wait to watch them grow. I can't seem to post a picture in this reply so i will try something else.

Thanks for the advice!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You just need to have at least 10 posts then can post pictures. Follow the instructions in search for posting pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by