Probably a stupid question...but wouldn't be first

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Ok I have 8 babies that hatched by incubator 4 days ago now.
The only one I had to help has been the one with poopy butt of course.
As I'm soaking n cleaning booty I notice what I thought was dried up poop but don't think so as it will not come off for nothing...and if I mess with it the least the lil guy gets ultra upset!
Here's the stupid question for the day anyway...do chicks have like an umbilical cord that may leave a scab of sorts?
I can't get a pic til I have another person here to help me over weekend. It is small and black and hard...but no amount of soaking is softening it at all. It is a good ¼" down from the vent too.
The little chick is doing great, eating and drinking and pooping too.
Just wanted to see if I need to do more aggressive soaking in case it is extremely dried up poop or leave it alone it's a belly button of sorts.

Yes, chicks have an umbilical cord and therefore a "belly button"! Definitely take a picture when you can, but their belly buttons can form scabs. This article (https://the-chicken-chick.com/5-common-problems-in-baby-chicks-wi/) has a good photo of an umbilical scab next to a pasty butt listed under "Problem #2" in the article.

If it is indeed a scab, definitely leave it and let it heal in its own time.

Yes, chicks have an umbilical cord and therefore a "belly button"! Definitely take a picture when you can, but their belly buttons can form scabs. This article (https://the-chicken-chick.com/5-common-problems-in-baby-chicks-wi/) has a good photo of an umbilical scab next to a pasty butt listed under "Problem #2" in the article.

If it is indeed a scab, definitely leave it and let it heal in its own time.
Wow! Who knew?! Everyone but me...lolol
Good to know though!
I don't see how yall with lots of chicks dont get more confused with em...I had this 1 I had to help but the membrane had dried around back of head and neck area...but then there was one more that had a vein of sorts stringing from the egg to chick so I couldn't remember if it was same chick or not (thank God for pics u took) so I could look back and see definitely 2 different chicks! Anyway that one ended up havin egg shell sorta stuck back there near vent area.
I will definitely get pic and leave alone as well!
Thank u so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom