Probably can't brood bantams w/ standards, right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmc, Feb 4, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    esp. if some of the standards will be rir chicks..............

whaddya think?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I brooded two silkies with a variety of layer chicks and meat birds to boot. The silkies are the meanest ones of the bunch now. Guess they had to get mean or get trampled. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Hopefully someone with more experience then me will put an answer in, but I would say why not? I have standards and bantams mixed and my standard Roo has no problem "gettin his groove on" with the bantams. It takes him a few extra seconds to get his balance but the bantam doesn't seem too bothered. If you hatch the eggs the offspring would just be a little bigger than the bantam but not quite full size. At least I think LOL. Good luck, I hope someone else pipes in on this one!

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    My roo is a BO and my hens are mutt banties. [​IMG]

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    My roo is a silkie. I have two RIR hens, three EE hens, and 2 SLW, and two SLW/EE cross hens. He is one happy rooster....

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never had bantams but have seen plenty of pics on here of different size chicks brooded together, not to mention turkeys and ducks. I would, especially if I wanted to house them together. Hopefully since their size won't be that different as day olds, they'll learn to live together.

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    *edited for being a nit-wit*

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Of course you can. I do, quite successfully. I am, right now, even.

9. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I've brooded bantams with standards. No problem. Though if you have too many standards, they may be a bit squished. I would just keep a eye on them. [​IMG]

10. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    I have raised over 60 breeds of chickens and have often brooded bantams and standards together. The only bantam breeds I would not mix with Standards are week old Seramas or Modern Games, they are just too tiny when that young to brood successfully with heavier breeds.

Though some publications recommend brooding other poultry with chicks (notably the recently published "Chick Days"), I would not mix waterfowl in with galliformes (chickens, keets, pheasants, etc.) they grow too rapidly and make pancakes of chicks in no time. Medicated chick feed is toxic to waterfowl and they also just make such a wretched mess of their food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by