Probably can't brood bantams w/ standards, right?

I brooded two silkies with a variety of layer chicks and meat birds to boot. The silkies are the meanest ones of the bunch now. Guess they had to get mean or get trampled.
lol.png

Last edited:
Hopefully someone with more experience then me will put an answer in, but I would say why not? I have standards and bantams mixed and my standard Roo has no problem "gettin his groove on" with the bantams. It takes him a few extra seconds to get his balance but the bantam doesn't seem too bothered. If you hatch the eggs the offspring would just be a little bigger than the bantam but not quite full size. At least I think LOL. Good luck, I hope someone else pipes in on this one!

I've never had bantams but have seen plenty of pics on here of different size chicks brooded together, not to mention turkeys and ducks. I would, especially if I wanted to house them together. Hopefully since their size won't be that different as day olds, they'll learn to live together.

I've brooded bantams with standards. No problem. Though if you have too many standards, they may be a bit squished. I would just keep a eye on them.
smile.png

I have raised over 60 breeds of chickens and have often brooded bantams and standards together. The only bantam breeds I would not mix with Standards are week old Seramas or Modern Games, they are just too tiny when that young to brood successfully with heavier breeds.

Though some publications recommend brooding other poultry with chicks (notably the recently published "Chick Days"), I would not mix waterfowl in with galliformes (chickens, keets, pheasants, etc.) they grow too rapidly and make pancakes of chicks in no time. Medicated chick feed is toxic to waterfowl and they also just make such a wretched mess of their food and water.

Back
Top Bottom