Probably not enough photographs, but can you lovely lot confirm the gender of this hellbeast Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Brooksy86, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    [​IMG]Sorry the photographs aren't clearer, this particular bugger screams bloody murder whenever I hold it and runs like the ****** wind if I come anywhere near them. I just noticed today that my two silkies seem to have some pretty subtle differences in posture, behaviour and features, probably nothing though.

[​IMG]

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Silkies are kind of difficult. I'm thinking boy, though I don't know. Looks like it might be a good sized comb (hard to tell) but the tail looks kinda tight. [​IMG]

My girls usually walk around saying "squawk, walk, alk, alk".

I'm sure you will get more input. [​IMG]

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    How old?

4. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I am not good with silkies, but that is a lot of crest and a big wide comb in there. I vote cockerel.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Frozen Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    I vote cockerel as well.

6. chyna

chyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Mid West USA
    Help Partridge Rooster? Four months old.[​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

Those seem like good sized waddles to me as well. I can tell by size that it's older than mine which are approaching 6 months.

An indicator of females.... They often walk around making a "squawk, walk,alk" type sound. Also my cockerels seem to know which ones are girls out of the 3 I have. Mine is black though so maybe it's harder to see the comb and waddles for me.

8. EggSighted4Life

I thought Silkies had black everything? Is that not true for Partridge?

Definitely cockerel (less than 1 year old), with a big comb like that... Though I'm just guessing. [​IMG]

None of mine have combs like that at almost 6 months old. But I surely don't expect them to be all female because it's statistically unlikely. Though I suspicion they might be and I certainly wouldn't complain! If only the egg song was a definite... but MANY of my cockerels sing with the ladies and when they get startled. [​IMG]

9. Brooksy86

Brooksy86 Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    I've honestly no idea, it was donated to me :/

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Not sure, usually when there is a big fat comb, it pushes back into the crest area. This one seems to have a very full crest. It you could manage a third hand and hold the crest pulled back - we could see the comb completely.- of course imagine the screaming that would cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by