(Probably Overly Fancy) Japanese Omelette - Tamagoyaki

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by EeyoreD, Apr 9, 2012.

1. EeyoreD

EeyoreD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
    I'll lead off by saying that the seasonings work just fine with regularly scrambled eggs so you don't really need to do the technique. But I love the texture and I usually slice my little egg roll into a small bowl of cannelini beans, olive oil, fresh ground pepper and sliced tomatoes as a healthy but very satisfying and "stick with you" breakfast.

Also, fair warning, I never measure and tastes vary so I'm just winging it - try it and adjust to what you like. Also this is for one egg in one of those small one egg fry pans, feel free to expand as you need.

Ingredients:

1 egg
    1 tsp Sriracha sauce (in the asian section of, at least, the Meijer in Lapeer)
    1 tsp Mirin (again, in the asian section)
    1 tsp soy sauce
    a little oil for cooking

Beat ingredients in a small bowl until combined. While beating heat a 1 egg non-stick saucepan (or for however many eggs you have - smaller is probably better than bigger. A square griddlepan of appropriate size would be ideal) with a little oil over medium heat.

(this is for one egg, you may want to divide into more than three pours for more eggs)

Pour 1/3 of your egg mixture into the heated pan. Not ever having done this with fresh eggs, for me this is usually the gelatinous portion that comes out in one go.

Let it cook (if it starts to lace turn your heat down) until the top is almost but not quite set. Starting from one side with a spatula, roll it up into a roll. If uncooked squirts out that's fine. Leave your egg roll on one side of the pan and pour in another third of your mixture. Lift up your roll so it gets included.

Again, once your layer is almost set, start with the side with your other roll and roll your new layer around it.

Repeat the above one more time.

If you want to be extra fancy, once you've rolled the last bit up, you can roll it into a sushi roller or a paper towel and let it sit for 5-10 minutes so it has that "sushi roll" thing going on.

Either way let it set for a sec to finish cooking your "almost cooked" tops. Then serve how you like.

As I said, I like to slice it into a bowl with cannelini beans tossed with pepper, olive oil and tomatoes.

And again, sometimes I just scramble the dang things (and toss them with the beans, tomatoes etc - something about the soy and sriracha and eggs goes so well with the tomatoes and beans.)

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Wwo that was most interesting. I looked it up on YouTube and watched a few of the video tutorials, I found this to be a very interesting process - I believe this person did it four times. Very cool... We're having a Bento Box dinner night here tonight so I may have to do this to add to one of the trays.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. chickundercover

chickundercover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Utah
    I checked out the video, very cool! I love how tidy it looks :) Although I dont think I would be able to resist "Americanizing" it and sprinkling toppings in between the layers.
    Cant wait to try it out, as soon as I finish off all these darn hardboiled easter eggs :/

4. EeyoreD

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
    Oh you can totally americanize it! Even the japanese versions they make a stripey one where they lay strips of nori (toasted seaweed) on the layers before rolling each one up in the pan.

The rolling of the thin layers not only makes it nice and tidy but gives it a really nice texture.

Thanks for finding the video Mike, it was weird to try to explain in text. (how was Bento night?)

5. chickundercover

chickundercover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Utah
    Oh my, I have SOO much nori left over, I never thought to put it in eggs! Fantastic!

6. EeyoreD

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
  7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I also love Omurice, which I'll post a video link to in a moment. This is from one of my favorite foreign films Tampopo
    A real foodie movie, in the movie a woman is trying to master every aspect of making good noodle soup, she's befriended by a truck driver who knows all sorts of characters.
    In this scene she is hanging out with a bunch of hobos who live near a bunch of great restaurants, they raid the dumpsters and one of the hobos befriends her son and he sneaks the boy in to make him omurice in a restaurant he has the key for... very cute

Someone asked how the Bento was. It was original that is for sure.
    We had a bunch of amazing leftovers and I wanted all of them but the Bento was the only plate that would handle it.
    SO tho not Japanese completely the little touches are inspired by and old place I went to in Sausalito for over 25 years.
    FukeSuke Restaurant run and affectionately known as Momma-san's...

[​IMG]
    So what we have here clockwise from the upper left hand corner:
    german potato salad with fresh dill, a "Burnt Ends" sandwich on a small italian roll
    twice smoked kilbassa sausage from Long Beach Island
    a Japanese salad with a sesame/horseradish dressing
    orange wedges
    apple and cherry wood smoked baby back pork ribs

It was all so good...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by