Probably peritonitis in a khaki campbell : (

turtlefrog2

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
I'm pretty bummed out -- one of my 2 Khaki Campbells probably has peritonitis (vet visit today) -- she has been laying soft shelled eggs for months, with calcium supplements not helping more than a day or two. In the past few days has seemed visibly uncomfortable like she couldn't get her wings settled -- that's actually one of the things that brought me to the vet as I thought she was injured. There have also been several no-shell eggs, deformed eggs and broken eggs recently. Otherwise she was walking around and swimming pretty much normally.

But on exam the vet said that the wings were fine, however he did an x-ray which showed particles in her ovary and he said her abdomen felt a little soft. He diagnosed her with probable early stage peritonitis (what I think is also called egg yolk peritonitis) and gave me antibiotics and an NSAID. In his opinion her wing behavior was about her feeling bad.

He did tell me that peritonitis can cause them to go downhill fast. Reading posts here about it I can see that many birds die. The vet told me that surgery could cost upwards of $800! which seems insane and is way more than I can spend on a duck. He did mention the implants that can make them stop laying but I gather they are also expensive. So if it gets bad I will probably have to let her go. I have 5 backyard ducks -- 2 khakis, 2 Silver Appleyard & 1 Pekin.

Would love to hear anybody's stories, good or bad. Is this always a chronic thing? Also, right now I have her with the other ducks since I think that is the least stressful thing for her. I've had them since they were 1 day old and they are a very tight group. Is there any good reason to isolate? If this might be the end for her I would rather she spent that time with her friends.

Also, if she does make it through, how can I get her to stop laying? For at least a little while. Khaki campbells are bred to to be egg-laying machines -- I wish they weren't! I would really like to give her a break. I understand restricting food a bit can help but how much? Thanks everyone.

@Aunt Angus can speak about the implant.
I wouldn't separate her from her flock that will just cause unnecessary stress.
I hope the antibiotics help to resolve this, you might think about trying dried greek oregano in their feed. It's a natural antibiotic. I have 2 Indin Runners that look to have some fluid in their tummies I have been using the dried oregano for about a month now and both girls are looking better. I mix it into their feed before I set it out in the mornings.

My Welsh Harlequin was laying internally. Infection hadn't set in, but my vet gave her a course of antibiotics and meloxicam. The implants are not cheap, but they are non-invasive and last for 6 months. I think I paid about $550ish for 2 implants (ducks need 2 because the implants were designed for smaller birds) that took the vet about 30 seconds to implant. She stopped laying within a week. She's like a changed duck! She's happier, healthier, and easier. Not cheap, but my girl is not even 2 years old. I felt like this was an investment in my flock. I used Care Credit and have zero regrets. But I totally get it. You do what you need to do for your you. It is a lot to spend, for sure. No judgment here at all.

I have a duck who is recovering from this. My vet removed a fair amount of yellow fluid (with a needle and syringe no surgery per sae) from her abdomen with ultrasound guidance and she was on antibiotics (amoxicillin plus clavulonic acid for two weeks after). The bill was around $400 here in nz including ultrasound, removal of fluid, antibiotic tablets and an AB injection to start the course, vet fee, sedation and a supreloren implant to stop her laying. I have other ducks with the implant which costs around $200 a pop here and lasts around 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom