Probably the dumbest canning question EVER!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 14, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I finally got myself a pressure canner and decided to start with some corn. I am just about finished......I take it off the heat in about 15 minutes and so far so good....I think. The canner seemed to do what it was supposed to when it was suppposed to anyway. [​IMG] However, I smell the corn. I know this will sound dumb to anyone who is used to canning, but am I supposed to be able to smell whatever I am canning or did I do something wrong? I just really don't want to kill my family with this. Thanks a bunch!!!

2. ChickieWhickie

ChickieWhickie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Western KY
    yes, your canning is fine....no need to worry about harming your family:)

3. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    The jars don't actually seal until they cool a little. The stuff inside contracts as it cools and creates a vacuum that causes the lids to seal. So until they seal you can smell whatever is inside.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Just wait until you can tomatoes... When my mom used to do that, she'd clear the house of kids because we'd all hide outside away from the smell! [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks a bunch, everyone. [​IMG] I feel better now. It really looks so pretty. The kids were quite impressed when they got up. Just kinda stood there saying "wowwww Mom!!!!". LOL

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Congrats!

It sure feels good to see all the rows of veggies and fruits and preserves you canned all lined up!

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, it is a great feeling to do this. I can't wait to do lots and lots more!!!! My plan is to not make but a couple of trips to the grocery this winter.......we will see how that goes. [​IMG] I feel like a squirrell. LOL

8. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I dont know what kind of corn you are canning but 15 mins isnt much!!!! Whole kernel corn is 55 min for pints and 1 hr 25 mins for qts. Did I miss something?

9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Never mind!!! I just woke up and read it a bit out of context, sorry! At least I hope I did!

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    She's probably saying she gets to take it off in 15 addtional mins. It's probably been on for awhile.

Don't take the weight off. I did that once, that was really dumb. [​IMG] Just let it cool on it's own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by