probiotic suggestions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nlynes, Feb 3, 2015.

1. nlynes

nlynes New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    A couple weeks ago my flock of four was put on tylan powder after two of them started sneezing and having raspy breathing. After 5 days of direct dosing to the two and adding it to the water for the other, three of them now have the runs. Besides the probiotic I got from my feed store to add to their water is there anything else I can give them.

2. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    Maybe some plain yogurt? I see lots of people on here suggesting it.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    While it is good to give probiotics after antibiotic use, they only need it for a couple days. If you want to continue the water soluble type, only use it twice a week. If you want to give them yogurt (plain is best) only give it once every 7 to 10 days. Chickens do not do well with dairy products. Some people use skim milk, butter milk or kiefer too but again, they cannot properly digest these things on a daily basis. [​IMG]

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    There is science behind this! Chickens, being avians and not mammals, have no need for dairy at all. :) Their systems were not designed to handle lactose and such.

Mammals = Mammaries... Avians obviously do not have udders. :p

MrsB

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Also, when was the last time you wormed your flock? Just for my own knowledge. :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by