Probiotics and Eggs?

2chicks poultry

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
Othello Washington
I was just wondering if probiotics and or other vitamin supplements that you can buy affect the eggs they lay in any negative way? I sell my eggs so I want to make sure they are healthy and safe for people to eat.

Hello there in Othello - from up in Winthrop!

I'm just a backyard flocker like you and I do have a special interest in probiotics. I can't see any reason why probiotics would negatively affect eggs. Probiotics will only improve the health of your birds. I don't know as much about vitamins, so I can't comment.

I can't find yet whether the cuticle/bloom on an eggshell contains lactic acid bacteria (probiotics) but my hunch is that is does and this would help protect the egg from the "bad" bacteria like salmonella.

Probably the biggest concern consumers in the USA may have with eggs is whether they've been washed or not. Commercial egg producers often use a mild bleach solution after scrubbing the eggs to sterilize the outside of the egg. I personally think eggs are healthier without washing/sterilizing, but this is difficult for large scale production to pick out the few eggs that have stains or poop on them. Apparently, eggs used to be stored at grocery stores unrefrigerated and unwashed. Unwashed eggs still contain the cuticle/bloom that function to stop microbes from passing the shell to the inside of the egg.

In the European Union, it's illegal to wash eggs meant for human consumption!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar...al-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/2/

If you do wash your eggs, this looks like an excellent guide to follow:
http://sd.appstate.edu/sites/sd.appstate.edu/files/egghandling.pdf

I know that's far more than you were asking for but sometimes I just get on a roll!

Last edited:
Oh your the closest person ive ever met on here lol
frow.gif
And oh ok that you both for relpiing.

Back
Top Bottom