Probiotics - AWESOME benefits, or coincidence?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MIChickandGuinea, Apr 5, 2018.

1. MIChickandGuinea

MIChickandGuinea Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Western Michigan
    I've got a pen full of 18, 1-week-old bantams right now. It's my first time with bantams, and they're seeming a little tougher than full-size chicks, in fact one passed away during the night :-(

BUT! I had been having a lot of struggle with crusty/pasty butts with these babies (yes, they are eating the right chick starter crumbles, fresh water twice daily, rigorously maintained 95-degree living space, generous plenty of room for them to move around), not always the same ones, but seemed like they were all taking turns, a couple at a time. My sister said I should give them poultry probiotics in their water, which I got and started yesterday afternoon. This morning ... ZERO pasty butts. Maybe a fluke? Maybe just that they're a week old and growing out of the problem? Or could probiotics in their water make them all get sorted out that fast? What do you expeienced chicken people think?

2. naf_appaz

naf_appaz Songster

May 18, 2017
    Central Mississippi
    First week or 2 is mostly when they are prone to that...so I think more coincidence. I use apple cider vinegar 1 tblsp per gallon for first couple weeks after hatch, no probiotics and have not had any problems since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: