Probiotics?

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
Can anybody name some probiotics that would be good for chickens? I am actually curious and think a probiotics sticky should be made. Maybe? lol
smile.png
anybody know any good ones?

I use homemade kefir...With dom kefir grains and my goat milk....excellent for them and I enjoy it too! Nancy

I feed Countryside Organics Layer Feed, which contains probiotics. I also take the "leftover" dust from their feed and mix it with homemade kefir as a treat.

Mine get Stonyfield organic yogurt! but would love a homemade recipe for kefir.

To make homemade kefir you need a culture to start. It is VERY easy to make. I would love to share some of my culture with you, as it grows/increases each time you make a new batch.

You take about 1-2 T of your culture and place in a 1/2 gal Mason jar, fill with about 7c of milk (raw whole milk is the best for a thicker product), cap the jar but not tight so are can be released. Place jar in a lunch cooler with another jar of very hot water and zip closed. Leave untouched for 8-12 hours. Check to see if the curds have separated from the whey (yellowy liquid). If not, refill your water jar with very hot water and repeat. I usually leave my kefir jar 2-3 days in the cooler. The consistent temperature in the cooler is important so don't open too often. Once your product is ready, you can strain it through a plastic colander into a bowl gently stirring with a spoon. You will see the culture curds stay behind. When your product is completely strained you can rinse your curds with purified water (NO TAP WATER as it contains chlorine which will kill your culture) and place into your storage jar with just enough milk to cover your culture curds. Store culture in refrigerator. Store kefir prodict in a Mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, but it typically is gone long before then. As your culture increases you can share with others also by placing about 2T in a small container or plastic baggie and cover with just enough milk.

Some people heat their milk, I choose not to. Some people use pasteurized milk, or skim milk. I prefer raw whole milk, it is the best.

You can mix your kefir for a "power protein shake", fruit smoothies, share with your chickens, etc.

smile.png

I simply buy the plain Keifer Probotics from Kroger, but I didn't know there was a recepie for homemade Keifer. Also, another suggestion would be Stonyfield Plain Organic Yogurt. I would highly recommend the Keifer probotics. I have had nothing but good experiences with them! Once my bird had Sour Crop for about half a year. We tried everything to get her crop emptied out. We were about ready to give up when we tried the Keifer Probotics. In the morning, her crop was totally emptied out. We were amazed! Hope this helps! :)

Ilovefarming :)

Back
Top Bottom