Problem Absorbing Yolk Stalk, What to Do? Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AWChickens, Feb 15, 2009.

1. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a chick that hatched yesterday that needs help. I found a couple posts on here about chicks that didn't absorb the yolk, but those pictures are worse than what's going on with this one. It hatched last night and when I took the others out I noticed that although this chick had absorbed the yolk, it still had about 1/4 inch of red 'stalk' tailing out like an umbilical chord. After a little research I followed the recommendations to leave it in the incubator another 12-24 hours and give it a chance to fix the problem itself. This morning there is a hard, dried bit of stump pasted to the umbilical opening, keeping the hole open slightly and prone to infection. The very small bit of stalk on the outside has dried into a hard knot, even though the chick was in 60% humidity overnight. So I don't think it can be absorbed at this point, and I have NO IDEA what to do!?! I've used a cotton swab to dab with betadine.......what else can I do? I really do not want to lose this chick, I only had 3 eggs develop out of 24 shipped due to the box being damaged during shipping- and each of these 3 is so precious!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I had one just recently that had exactly the same thing. I put it in the brooder so that part could dry and then cut it off. The chick seems fine now.

3. AWChickens

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I was afraid I might have to do something like that, I'm so afraid to hurt the little one if I try to cut it [​IMG]

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    So was I but mine was making my little chick spraddle legged. I cut a little bit off the end first and when it didn't bleed, I cut just a little bit more and kept going until most of it was gone.

5. AWChickens

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Thanks for the advice, everything went well. No blleeding and it's already closing. I applied betadine one more time but it looks like it's going to be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by