Problem Buff Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alex2370, Mar 15, 2017.

1. alex2370

alex2370 New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi, I have two Female Buffs who have been poorly with conjunctivitis. They are both fine now after two trips to the vets in a dog crate.
    One buff has been accepted back into the flock (I have 7 in total) however the other who was the sicker of the two is being alienated by our Drake. He is mating her then it looks like he's actually trying to kill her, pinning her down and not letting her get up. she then goes and sits on her own isolated and not eating .... very sad to watch :-((
    I have them separated (she is with another Drake at the moment we have also have a Khaki Campbell Drake who is fine with her) ... can anyone advise me on what to do with this problematic Buff Drake please? Many thanks in advance.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What happens here with my Ducks.....If I have to remove a Hen for any reason, my Drake will breed her as soon as I put the Hen back in and he is a bit aggressive with her also...He will pin her down and hold her to the ground also....He also will boss her until she submits.....It never lasts long though....If your Drake is being to aggressive? You might have to keep them separated ?
    He is possibly very dominant and his hormones are high with spring and breeding going on......My Big Drake will only Allow my Call Drake to breed my one Call Hen.....My Call if caught trying to breed my other Hens? Gets chased around the yard....lol....;)...Good thing my Call Drake can fly ....:)

Cheers!

3. alex2370

alex2370 New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you, I've got him separated from the others at the moment. The other 6 are getting along great now. I will try this for two or three days then re-introduce him .. hopefully it will go OK! ..many thanks

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, it might work or he will act a bit more assertive and aggressive once put back in?

Best of luck.....:)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by