Problem Child - Spradle leg(s)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tillyita, Oct 8, 2013.

1. tillyita

tillyita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for helping my problem child?

S/he hatched on Monday - on her own because the parents had already left the nest. When I found her she was still attached to the shell (but only just) and couldn't move - she was stuck as if she was still completely in the shell. I think she was just so cold that the muscles locked. It has been 2 days under the heat lamp and she finally has her eyes open and can hold her head up on her own and last night she managed to stay upright. (She kept ending up on her back and couldn't right herself). I havent left any water in the box because I'm worried that she will drown in it but have been dipping her bill whenever I remember - 3 or 4 times a day.

Anyway - to get to the point - she can't stand up because her legs are splayed to the sides.

1 is this spradle leg?
    2 what do I do about it?
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. tillyita

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know what that is she is own but I'd replace it with an old clean towel so the gosling can get traction. I hope it makes it. And if you can put some poultry vitamins in the water when you "remember" to give the little one some. If your giving her feed she needs to have water along with it which means you'll have to be more attentive. Sorry if it sounds like I am upset but I am, it was almost like you have an after thought about this lil one I know you didn't give it much of a chance but it's a survivor and It deserves a chance.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. tillyita

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia

It's not that (I understand) I have to work - so am not home for much of the day. She is in my ensuite - so every time I go in there I get "a little reminder" also - really busy at them moment. Just got a new pup and I'm on foal watch - so more than a little sleep deprived! I have just changed the "bedding" to a doggy "wee wee" pad - which should provide more traction. She was on pine shavings, which have worked well for the chicks but I think that she was just too weak to begin with. Will see how she goes.

It is probably safe to put water in there now as she can lift her own head up, but until last night she couldn't even do that.

6. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    That is spraddle leg and all you have to do is get some horse wrap take and cut it down the middle in half. Then put the gosling on it's back in your lap go right above the elbow joint and wrap it from one leg to the other and come back over it in the middle so it does not stick to the down. It will be in the right place when the gosling tries to stand up.

This gosling is very very weak. You might want to ad some polyvycin sp? no iron vitamins in the water to help bring baby around. Then dip the beak in the water so baby can drink. Not only did it get cold but mom left the nest and the temp went down. If you can keep the baby warm and have just a small bowl of water to drink and put food in for baby maybe the little one will come around.....
    Good Luck...

1 person likes this.
  7. tillyita

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia

Thanks RURU,

I have horse wrap (plenty of it). I will look up the polyvcin sp, I haven't seen that here. I can easily get vitimins and minerals for caged birds but finding them for poultry is proving more difficult! You wouldn't credit it would you with lots of people keeping chickens!

8. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Hon the sp was spelled wrong. [​IMG] Sorry, sometime I do that.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The poly vi sol with out iron is a baby vitamin. human baby. [​IMG] I would think some niacin would be in order too, do ya'll give brewers yeast to your horses? I know some folks do. Mix some brewers yeast into the feed and a little warm water and see if she'll eat it. good way to get niacin into them. That will help strengthen her legs.

10. tillyita

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia

Cool I will try at the chemist on the way home from work tomorrow and see how I get on. Yes I do have brewers yeast - will add some to the water / food now. She is now eating and drinking on her own. Is upright - but still wobbly and still has the shakes (they may never go away - but I can live in hope). She is starting to "worry" when I leave the room - so just went and "stole" one of her siblings to keep her company. It really highlights how far behind the others she is because she is only about a third of the size of her hatch mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by