Problem: Duck and Goose trapping my Hen and sitting on her.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ACanChx, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ACanChx

ACanChx Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    South Carolina
    Both gang up, duck pins her down while goose sits on her. Why??? They only go after 1 of my 3 hens.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Are they males? Because it sounds like they could be trying to mate with her, which you don't want, because that could seriously injure her.

3. ACanChx

ACanChx Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    South Carolina
    Honestly, we think both females but we could have missed an egg one day meaning that only one is female and we thought they both were. Egg is good size and always buried, but we don't know which one is laying them. We get an egg avg every other day

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Easy way to tell if the duck is old enough to be laying eggs, does it have a curly feather above its tail? Does its quack sound low and raspy or loud and braying?

5. ACanChx

ACanChx Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    South Carolina
    Ohhh. It does have the curly feather and quacks low and raspy.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Yep that's a male duck. Separate him from your hens ASAP or get him some females. He's trying to mate your hens. The goose is probably trying to break it up but she's not helping and is probably going to hurt the hen too.

This is a pretty serious problem, because of anatomical differences a drake trying to mate with a chicken hen will cause her serious injury or death.

I recommend you get another goose too if you just have the one. Both ducks and geese are flock animals and are much happier with at least one friend of their own species. In the drake's case, he needs about three or four females for himself to keep him happy.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    No joke. Drakes can definitely kill a chicken hen trying to breed her. Don't let this continue. If you can't keep them apart do the hen a favor and rehome her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by