1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

problem during zipping: please advise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, Apr 21, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Egg pipped at 7AM. Started zipping a little by supper time. Only zipped a small area. Now the beak is out halfway between the zipped area & chick is only cheeping, no more trying to peck its way out. Cheeping sounds like it is asking for help. Is there a problem? Is it time to intervene? If it is, what do I do?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Wait a little longer. He's probably exhausted and taking a break. Don't open the bator until you're absolutely sure he's in trouble. He should be fine for another day in the egg.

3. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    So maybe he is doing it to breathe a little better since he can? I guess I will have to keep busy where I don't worry over it:) DH is begging me to do something & I already told him we have to wait:)

I am glad that we have some pullets... by next year I'll just use a broody hen:)

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yes. What he'll start doing now is pushing. He'll push to crack the egg and rotate all the way around.

5. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Thank you! I appreciate all the help today:) I will update when we have an outcome;)

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Is he the last egg to help? If so, you can safely help. Just pull a little bit of shell off every hour or so until you can "pour" him out of the egg.

7. tumra

tumra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Sydney
    i havent been hatching chickens though the excatly the same thing happens with my quail eggs.... Although i wait a couple of hours to give them a chance to hatch out of the egg themselves i do eventually give them a helping hand by peeling away some of the egg shell and just leaving the whoite membrane. I have found that in my batches that those chicks that only partially zip is because their navel is still bloody. When i assist in the hacth they come out fine and survive.... I suggest that you help it ot if it is still struggling.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    it can easily take 24 hours from zip to hatch. Put your hands on a chair bottom with the palms flat side down, then sit on them.

9. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    No progress made last night. Chick still moving beak. What do you think? [​IMG]

10. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I don't think I am going to do anything.

I tried to peel back a tiny bit of shell and it started bleeding a little. I got it stopped & it was a tiny amount. Is the bleeding still a death sentence?

Unless ya'll think I absolutely need to do something, I think I better let things happen as they may. I am not very optimistic... should I be? There isn't too much movement... not like last night.

The other eggs haven't pipped either:(

How disappointing:(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by