Problem E-filing my Federal Tax return, any advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm trying to e-file my Federal Income Tax forms, a fairly basic 1040 with some attatchments, using the free version of TurboTax. It keeps giving me an error message, saying the government is rejecting it because of "IRS reject 510, Spouse SSN in the Return Header cannot be the same as a Primary SSN on another tax return."

I have checked & re-checked that all the information and the SSNs of my husband, myself, & all our boys is correct. I know for certain that I have not filed a return on my own, nor has Mister already filed our joint return (I could only hope!)

Is it possible that someone else filed a return and mistakenly put my SSN on it?

I was told by the IRS to try again, it was too soon for them to go in and check the forms I sent. They said my only other option was to print the forms & send it snail mail. I know that will make it take longer for the refund to get here, and I fear that some other person's mistake will add to my delay.

Any help, advice, suggestions?

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Turbo Tax has online help. I would be leary though, I have heard of several cases where scammers have filed tax returns using others SS and info and gotten their refunds. I would first try to contact TT "live" and see if they can check it for you. If not I would print and snail mail, keep your copy and call the IRS.

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I had the same error on my turbo tax e file. I called The IRS and they tell me either my wife's or my SS# was already used in a return by someone else. So now I filed through the mail and the IRS will investigate. It really bugs me that someone got our SS #'s or just made one up that happened to be one of our SS#'s. Good luck on your return. Let me know if you find any further info on what needs to be done. Our return is now in the hands of the IRS.

4. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Right now I am at the public library printing a copy of my forms so I can put them in the mail tomorrow. I am just as annoyed as you, and concerned about having to wait & wonder.

5. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Haha!! You thought the modern way was supposed to be easier! You're silly!

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    No not any easier. This is a case of SS# fraud.

7. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    This happens to me every single year...they tell me my DDs SS# has already been used so I can't e-file. I even filed my taxes in January one year to see if it would run through, but that didn't work either. Soooo....every year I print off the forms, sign, and mail in. I took this up with the SS office, and those ever so helpful folks told me that even if someone is using my daughter's SS# they could not tell me and there was nothing they could do. [​IMG] So, this year (after the same 'ol thing) I have decided to run a credit check on her to see if there is anything fraudulent. I haven't done it yet, but that's the plan for this week. So...hopefully nothing serious for either of us. [​IMG]

8. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    This is the first year this has happened to us, I've been able to e-file for the past several years with no problem. I have the envelope ready to mail tomorrow with the signed forms, a copy of the note from the online tax place stating the reason for the e-file rejection, and a signed letter from us stating that the rejection is in error, these SSNs are correct & verified and that no one here filed a 2010 return nor is anyone eligible to be claimed by anyone else.

[​IMG] We were really counting on having our refund available for our use as soon as possible. Rockin' Reds, do you remember how long it takes from the time you file to the day you receive your check?

9. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Quote:Well....as my hubby and I are both self-employed we owe every year, which is why I wait until the last day to send in my forms and check. [​IMG] I have no clue how long it takes to get a check. My best guess would be probably 4 weeks or so? If you did direct deposit maybe a shorter wait? I do know that it sure as heck doesn't take them that long to cash my check!! [​IMG]

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

FYI Y'all,

I run criminal background checks on clients, volunteers, and potential staff. You would NOT believe the number of times I have found an individuals social security number has been used without their knowledge by another family member. Sadly, many times it is someone close to you. Almost always the person I'm running the check on is clueless that their social has been hijacked.

Running a credit check on yourself/children can bring this to light sooner rather than later.

Hope you figure out what is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by