Problem persists. Anyone have any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cupman, Oct 3, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'm trying to be detailed so it might be a little graphic, but not too bad.

I have a 4 week old light brahma who around a week ago started just screaming high pitched noises, so loud I could hear them in the garage from inside my house. Well, I noticed the anus of the chicken was sticking out. I was afraid she was clogged up but while taking pictures of the problem she took a poop. So she is not backed up, and if she was I think it would have killed her by now. When the bird screams, the anus actually sticks out more, then goes back when shes done. She doesn't scream all the time, it's just every now and again and she does it for awhile then stops. One thing that really concerns me is that sometimes when she does it the other birds will actually peck at her rear. I ran warm water over her back side and tried to massage it with my finger to see if that would help, it didn't really seem to do a whole lot but it cleaned her up some. Here's some pictures, any ideas would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It's an early prolapsed vent, my guess is it will only get worse and god forbid she ever does lay an egg it maybe her demise, if she is having these isues at such a young age you may want to prepare for the worst.

3. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Is there no fix?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Some have said yes but it's allways questionable as to a quality of life, I have heard of very few if any real world cases of birds living past laying age with a problem as severe as yours. Now the rescue folks may squawk up a storm but in the end it's up to you and your experience. If this chick was from hatchery lines they don't cull for these issues and you will see it in chicks from time to time. It's really your call at this point, me personaly I don't have the time nor the inclination to goof around with a serious fault like this, just to keep it alive. If she is kept with other birds as they get older the other chicks will see this and then her time in the flock will be limited in the real chicken world.

5. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, too bad. I think I'll give her a couple more days, and try the fix I was reading about on a different thread. Last question... what if it ends up being a rooster? It's considerably larger than my other light brahma, but it doesn't really look like a rooster so this is kind of a shot in the dark. Would it be a problem for roosters also?

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    did you look up prolapse treatment? maybe prep h, honey to get the swelling to go down?

7. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Yeah I saw that, I am probably going to give that a try later tonight or tomorrow, once I can get someone to assist me. One holding the bird the other being precise and careful when applying the treatment. I just need to know, is the bird suffering like this or will it only present a problem later in life? If she isn't suffering I might give her a little while to figure it out and let nature take it's course, but if it IS suffering I'll probably crack it's neck. Man I really don't want to do that.

She has been separated from the other birds.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    She is so cute. Don't give up yet. Try the prep H and definetely the honey. Honey is very curative and has great healing power. They even use it to heal wounds and serious infections. I don't know if it will bother a too or not?[​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Uh oh. I just noticed this on a week old chick. Now I am sad. It's a female. Is it really a death sentence?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by