Problem re-introducing a previously injured hen

sunshine23

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Hialeah, FL
My SLW was injured by the dog next door and ran away, I thought she was dead but we found her thanks to a neighbor a week after the attack. She was injured and missing feathers, she's healed now and growing her feathers back (no skin is visible)

I've tried re-introducing her to the other 5 in the flock but they won't stop pecking at her, they see her all day and I let her be with the others while I'm there but she's scared of them and runs all the time, they won't let her eat or drink so I have to separate her again or she'll starve to death. They are sleeping together at night because they can't see her of course.

I've tried a little bit of vicks vapor rub on her back but I'm afraid it might hurt them so is there anything else I can try? She doesn't eat much during the day but seems fine, is this normal behavior given her situation? She is the only one that is not laying yet but I'm sure she will soon so I really need her to be accepted by the others.

Culling or giving away chickens is not an option here so please please what else can I do?

Nobody?
idunno.gif

I have used Pine Tar to stop them from picking a wound (it tastes bad) but in your case, you'd have to put all over her. I don't know about re-introducing chickens that have been away for a while, but Ive read that it's good to separate, but at the same time, let the others see her all day. So, could you possibly rig something up, like a wire wall, that would keep her with them but where they can't get at her? You would probably have to do this for a while and then check their behavior towards her (sneaking peeks when they don't think you're looking). If they are aggressive still, then separate for a little longer and try again.

Hopefully someone with experience will see your post. If not, do a search and find past posts.

Good luck.

At this point they probably don't remember her and it is just like bringing a new chicken onto the property. A month where they can see and hear each other, with fence in between, will hopefully do it. You might also have to identify the worst bully or two and separate them for a week or so while reintroducing her. When a chicken returns to the flock after a separation, they are automatically at the bottom of the pecking order.

Read here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

That's why I have a separate pen in my coop, and one reason I would never keep a chicken in my house. I've brought a few in for treatment but then put them back in the coop. You might not have had any choice about separating her, but I believe it would have helped with reintegration if they had been able to see her all that time she was healing.

I have the same problem,had a b roody,trying to get her back in the flock.I tried putting her on their perch at nite,next morning all h broke lose.I have a total of 13 and they were all ganging up on her.She is timid also hides in nest box.I kept her next to them ,tried again same deal.May be u would want my hen to be with yours.Before i had to free range several hr of the day to get one back in,but i can not watch 13 hens with all the hawlks around.I am just worn out on this because it just isnt one or two picking on her.

I recently had the same problem with two EE hens. They were the bullies. Chased everybody, even the roo. Now one of them has settled down and I took the other out of the pen and she is on the outside looking in and not likin' it.
smile.png

They've seen her all day since we found her again. Some of them don't attack her so often but the RIR and Speckled Sussex run after her when they see her, they are also sleeping together at night but I have to separate her early in the morning or they'll kill her!

I'm gonna have to try the pine tar because I honestly don't know what to do anymore
barnie.gif

Thank you all for the help

Back
Top Bottom