Problem Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smk2010, May 16, 2011.

1. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    I have a rooster who I raised from a small chick and who has always been very friendly. Over the last couple of month he has singled out and started picking on one of my older and favorite hens, "RED", who use to be the Queen of the roost. Yesterday I went to let the chickens out to free range and noticed RED now has a big, dime sized, hole in the back of her skull. The rooster is 2 years old and the hen is 3 years old but still laying regularly. None of the hens seem to bother her just the Roo - I'm not sure what to do. I try to keep them separated but when they are all out free ranging he always zero's in on Red, chases her down, mounts her, and then pens her down and pecks it her. Why is my friendly protective rooster turning into a monster? I hate to get rid of him but I might not have a choice. Any suggestions or thoughts???[​IMG]

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    First, I'd isolate the rooster and let the hens re-establish their pecking order without him. This should also give the hen a chance to heal. If when you reintroduce him to the flock, he continues to bully your hen, you might need to rehome him.

Sorry.

3. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    That's pretty much what I am doing...at least while they are in the coop and run. I'll have to try and find a way to get him in the back door of the run while the hens go out the front door of the coop. I just wish I could find a way to trim his spurs and his beak a little bit - both are razor sharp right now and tearing up the hens. I have a feeling in the end I'm going to have to re-home him though. He is almost like a pet and I'd hate to see him go but the hens are much more valuable than he is. His only real purpose right now is to let me know when predators are close by - boy can he make a lot of noise when one of his hens are distressed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by