Problem silkie rooster!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrestonSloan08, Jul 30, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok so I have three silkies!! A rooster and two hens!! The hens are awesome!! But the roo keeps trying to attack me when I go in the chicken yard!! What do I do??

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Have you tried running at him? Stamp your feet and wave your arms so you look big and scary. I chase my roosters every once and a while so they remember whose boss. If that doesn't work (I've got some rotten little cockerals right now), I grab them and push them to the ground. Usually some of the other chickens will come over and give them a little peck, if they don't, I'll lightly "peck" them with my fingers. They still fight amongst themselves, but they steer clear of me now. Good luck, just walk around the coop like you own the joint (cause you really do!). Good luck!

3. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Your silkie rooster is doing as is bred in to him, protecting his girls. Ours has 5 hens to take care of and still comes running if one hen screams. He will try to protect, but brush him aside and he will learn eventually. I also pick him up, once carried he is a different bird....

4. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Yea he gets really mad if I pick one of his girls up!! Or even just feed them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by