Problem Solver OR Problem Maker?

ChickenyChickeny

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
Nipple waterers. Do they solve problems, by not spilling as easily as bucket waterers, or do they make problems because they are finicky? I am asking because I want to find a waterer that doesn't spill to easily (I have big problems with water spilling in the coop in winter, so, frostbite :( ), but I have heard that nipple waterers have their disadvantages. And what is a good way to heat water? Building a water heater yourself, or should I just buy one? Please weigh in with your opinion! I mean, now that you have read to the end of this, you might as well tell your opinion/experience/knowledge.

Allllllllsssso...... has anyone tried this?
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=HTD2
I think it looks flimsy but... I don't know...

For water I use a 10 gallon semi clear plastic tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and stock tank deicer that is rated to use in plastic. Has been as cold as -22 F and the birds still had water. With a dozen birds it only needs filled once a week which is great because I hate being outside in the winter in Northern Montana.

Many people use a 5 gallon bucket or other type of container. We all use what works best for our set ups.

I don't know what you mean by finicky. My waterer is going into its 4th year without a problem.

If by "finicky" you mean the chickens don't prefer it, you're right, they don't, but they'll use it if that's their only source of water. Frankly I'd rather deal with less mess, less cleaning, less refilling. The only time I offer open sources of water is in the hotter parts of summer (90 degrees+) as I want to make sure they stay hydrated and can cool off by wetting their feet.

I plan on getting that Premier waterer once it's back in stock, I like the fact that it appears opaque to thwart algae growth and it holds a decent amount of water for a smaller flock. Already have a 2 gal vertical nipple waterer but with a larger flock I need something with more nipples. The past few years I've been using an aquarium heater to keep the water liquid as my temps don't drop too far below freezing, though with a vertical set up the nipples do freeze so I have to manually defrost those sometimes.

I bought a bucket heater and am using horizontal nipples in a more than 5 gallon bucket. I'm not sure what the capacity is really, 6 or 7, it's just a bit bigger than a 5. For the cost of a good heater and the good nipples, if you can handle only having a 3 gallon waterer, I'd say that Premier 1 is worth it at $54. I'm changing out nipples now because they leak like crazy, the super cheap ones on Amazon aren't really that great of a deal when they leak.

Nipple waterers. Do they solve problems, by not spilling as easily as bucket waterers, or do they make problems because they are finicky? I am asking because I want to find a waterer that doesn't spill to easily (I have big problems with water spilling in the coop in winter, so, frostbite :( ), but I have heard that nipple waterers have their disadvantages. And what is a good way to heat water? Building a water heater yourself, or should I just buy one? Please weigh in with your opinion! I mean, now that you have read to the end of this, you might as well tell your opinion/experience/knowledge.

Allllllllsssso...... has anyone tried this?
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=HTD2
I think it looks flimsy but... I don't know...

Just out of curiosity, I looked at heated waterers with nipples on Premier 1. Is this the same one that you are looking at on the Meyer site? If so, the Premier 1 is quite a bit less expensive.
heated-poultry-waterer

I haven't tried either one myself.

Last edited:
nipple water fountains work very well!

I do have a problem with buckets getting brittle from the sun here. I need to find UV resistant buckets!

Back
Top Bottom