Problem with 10 week old brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay, I have 6 ten week olds.... A NHR, 2 BAs, 1 Ameraucana and one SLW and my light brahma.

Well the Light brahma is actually the head honcho in the brooder. About a week ago, I noticed she had a scratch on one leg and a spot on one toe. Well, now she has NO feathers on her feet or legs. Someone is pulling her feathers! I have been watching constantly and trying to see which one if the culprit or if it is more than one and no success.

So, the questions become....

do I let them work it out? or

Seperate her from them which will upset everyone terribly? or

Leave things be until I get my new chicks in Late July and put her with the Cochins and Faverolles coming (when they are old enough to be together)?

I could build two coops and put all the feather footed ones together which would be a total of 8 if all survive. That would leave me with 24 non feather footed ones in a seperate coop.

I keep washing the Brahma's feet and legs with warm soap and water, putting antibiotic ointment on the spots that bled....I would like her to have her beautiful feathered legs.

Suggestions?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'd try to separate her, if possible...

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I will try to rig up something for her. I think it is happening at night when she is roosting. During the day no one is bothering her. What about blu kote or whatever that stuff is called.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

You could try that and/or getting them all into a bigger space. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by