Problem With 3 Day Old Chick's Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunnyducks, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Hello. I'd be grateful for some advice if possible, please.. 2 chicks hatched on Sunday, this one has a problem with his right leg. It seems to be rotated somehow at the knee joint. It will straighten out, but not in line - it's twisted and he can't walk on it. He walks on his hock on that side.

I'm worried that there is only one thing to be done with him, which I hate to even think about, so I'm asking if anyone has any thoughts. Best wishes and thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
  3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Quote:
    this is from that link above

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Wow, thank you for those images. That gives me hope that I might be able to fix it. Thank you for your help and advice!

1 person likes this.
  6. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Thank you, @Eggcessive That's really helpful. I've tried to feel anything wrong with the tendon position but I can't - not sure if it's me, or if the tendon is ok. It suggests perosis is largely seen after a week, and mine are barely 4 days now. However, to my alarm, the 'good' chick's.foot seems slightly turned in now, so I'm really worrying that it may be something I've caused. (How, I can't imagine). I'm going to hunt some tape down this morning to see if I can fix them both. They are both pretty quiet, not hopping around too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by