Problem With 3 Day Old Chick's Leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunnyducks, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Hello. I'd be grateful for some advice if possible, please.. 2 chicks hatched on Sunday, this one has a problem with his right leg. It seems to be rotated somehow at the knee joint. It will straighten out, but not in line - it's twisted and he can't walk on it. He walks on his hock on that side.[​IMG]

I'm worried that there is only one thing to be done with him, which I hate to even think about, so I'm asking if anyone has any thoughts. Best wishes and thank you in ad

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    Hi @redsoxs Thank you for giving me that link. I'm honestly not sure what it is - I've had budgerigars with splayed legs, but this doesn't quite seem like that, but - who am I to guess, I have no idea about chicks, and I know all you guys on here are very experienced, so I have to try, don't I. I'm about to leave for town to get baby vitamins and some kind of sticking plaster/wrap that I can use, and I just have to try.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm not too experienced with leg problems but it could be slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity called Varus-Valgus deformity.

I do know that vitamin B2 (riboflavin) is important for legs, so if your poultry vitamin or baby vitamin doesn't have that, then you can crush up a human B-Complex vitamin (no iron) and put it in her food.

Here's some links you may find helpful:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1051/leg-health-in-large-broilers/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chick-anyone-ever-try-to-fix-this-experiences

5. Sunnyducks

May 1, 2016
    @Wyorp Rock Thank you for the advice and all the links. I've learnt a lot from you and the kind people who helped me. I couldn't actually feel a problem with the tendon, but his hock joint had a hard bony lump on the back of it and it was all becoming inflamed. I wrapped it, started it on vitamins, but sad to say, nature took its course, the chick seems not to have managed to get itself up to the food - there were only the two of them in the brooder so not pushed out - but the crop felt absolutely empty when it passed away. I am sad, not sure if it was something I could have fixed, but the poor little mite is not suffering anymore.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Awww...I'm sorry to hear this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by