Problem with a duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alicia G, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I have had ducks for over 6 year and I have never seen this before. My drake has a lump on his bill. I had seen a smal lump on his beak before, but that one went away. Now a larger lump has formed and It ISNT going away. I have a feeling its an absess but Im not 100% sure.I have been working on a porcelain/blue dusky project and hes the drake I using in this project not to mention hes a loving pet and Id be really sad if anything happened to him.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I had some success with Drei's lump on her bill making a salve out of beeswax, olive oil, comfrey and pau d'arco. Comfrey is a healing herb and pau d'arco is antifungal. I put the salve on, just a little dab, three or four times a day. It took weeks for it to go away.

That said, you may want to see if you can get a vet to look at it, to be on the safe side.

3. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well I cant afford to take him to the vet, and I have a 5$ limit on meds/electrolyte ect. So if I put beeswax on it it should help? I have poultus sp?(used to draw out absesses on horses hooves) would that work? should I lance it? I think I used poultus in the past on it and It helped a little. and besides the lump hes perfectly healthy.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The beeswax in my salve is just for the purpose of making the salve stay on and not run off. The comfrey and pau d'arco are what have a reputation for healing.

I would be hesitant to lance it, but at the same time, that may be what it needs. It's just that lancing it increases the risk of additional bacterial infection.

Is there a wildlife rehabilitator you can contact in your area? Or a state ag school with a teacher who knows something about duck health? A 4H club?

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree about being hesitant to lance it. I personally wouldn't even consider lancing it at home--it would be too difficult to sterilize the site of entry and the needle and everything that touches the area, and without the sterilization, the risk of introducing a worse infection is very high.

I had an abscess develop several years ago in the delicate tissues near my underarm. It was the size of a ping pong ball, and ultimately I had a surgeon lance it. It was traumatic and expensive and afterward the abscess began filling up again. Then, about three days later, my body opened up a hole the size of a pea and drained the abscess itself--it was a remarkable thing--I just sat on the bed and held a towel under it while it oozed and ran for about twenty minutes. Then it was done and it healed from the inside out. The hole looked like a bullet hole and was kind of freaky, but my body did it on its own. Looking back, I wish I had skipped the trouble and expense of the surgical intervention.

That's not to say that every abscess will eventually heal itself, just that surgical intervention (such as lancing) should be considered a last resort, and that there is hope that the site will eventually heal itself if the animal is otherwise healthy and well provided for.

Definitely try the beeswax etc. mixture--the ingredients should be fairly inexpensive at a health food store--they should be available as dried herbs and if you have a place that sells them out of bulk bins (as opposed to in little glass jars or something), they may well come in under your $5 budget. And it doesn't carry much risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by