Problem with aggressive rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cajunlizz, Jul 30, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    i HAVE 3 ROOSTERS AMONG 45 PULLETS/HENS . wELL , WE HAD 4 BUT FOUND 1 ROOS DEAD LAST WEEK .

Now I think we have figured out what happened to the roos that died .

Late yesterday afternoon , we found one of the 3 roosters left stumbling and very weak , so we separated him and gave feed and water , and he like to NEVER stopped drinking . He must have drank 1/2 gallon of water in an hours time . He seemed very alert and walking again once he started drinking and eating .

OUR Big red rooster has made this flock HIS and has been stopping the other roosters from drinking and eating . We had noticed this for some time , BUT did not think it was a constant thing that could interfer with their health or LIFE.

WHAT SHOULD WE DO ?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Build 3 runs and split the hens between them.

Hens will do the same thing with new pullets introduced into the flock.

3. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for responding so quick .

1st. of all , all these roosters came from the same flock . We purchased them about 2 months ago . So , they knew each other .

There were no problems when we added the 4 to OUR flock . JUST BIG RED thinks he is KING , LOL

Bad thing is , we DO NOT have room to Split them up in separate runs .

Hubby was thinking of getting rid of 2 of the roosters and just keeping BIG RED since he is SO GOOD with handling the FLOCK , ( other than the roos ) . LOL

Actually we are NOT looking for the breeding aspect of the FLOCK , just had gotten roosters to HANDLE the flock .

WOULD you suggest just keeping BIG RED ? CAN he handle that size FLOCK by himself ONCE all the pullets get full grown ?

RIGHT NOW , I have 44 PULLETS / HENS . 7 hens are full grown and the rest are about 16 weeks . WHAT would you do ?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you are not interested in breeding get rid of all the roos but one. With a flock of 45 hens one rooster will never mate them all so it would be difficult to count on hatching eggs unless you sorted them into a breeding pen.

There is rarely room for more than 1 rooster to a flock. Once they reach a mature age and mating and other insticts take over many times roos don't do well living together. Some people do have success with more than one but those people usually offer large spaces for free range or have separate pens or just have pet chickens.

All of my roosters have their own coops and hens.

5. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    OK , thanks for the info and sharing :)knowledge .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by