1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problem with automatic drink cups?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jungleexplorer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I bought some automatic drink cups from Cutler Supply (4085 Drink Cups). They recommended the 4011/4090 New Style Pressure Reducing Valve to be used with the drink cups, so I bought that too. I got the whole system hooked up a few days ago and have nothing but trouble with it. The drink cups work fine at extremely low water pressure (like 5 PSI) but become inoperative when the pressure is any higher then that. I thought that is what the pressure reducing valve was for, but it does not control the line pressure very well. I have cranked the regulator valve down to minimum and the line pressure still slowly increases until it is static with the water system (40 psi). Honestly I don't think this 4011/4090 valve is a pressure regulator at all. I think it is a flow restrictor. Either that or the one I got is defective. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    "Pressure Reducing Valve - 4011/4090
    Easier to adjust, new features. Valve is complete with female garden hose connection on inlet side and replaceable 1/4" and 5/16" hose bard connection on outlet side. Pressure regulator is set at approximately 8 PSI from off position to black mark. If changes are necessary, pull cap up and turn it counter clock-wise to increase or clock-wise to decrease."

From their description I'm led to believe that the "Pressure Reducing Valve" will take your line pressure (40 PSI) and reduce it to 8 PSI.

From your post I gather everything works fine at 5 PSI but when you try to increase pressure to line pressure (40 PSI) you have problems.

Leave it set at 5 PSI.

3. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I have reduced the valve to the lowest possible pressure setting and the pressure down line from valve still reaches 40 psi after a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by