Problem with chicks feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by odysseychicken, May 5, 2016.

1. odysseychicken

odysseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    I noticed that at least one of my chicks has some sort of growths on her feet. Not sure if it is bumble foot or something else. I have three chicks that are just over one weak old. I first noticed that her back toes were a little stubby with no claw. I thought she had clumps of chick poo on her feet. After washing her feet the "growths" are still there.

What could this be and is there anything I can do about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Are you sure it isn't really stubborn poo? I have had my chicks feet look just like that, and after letting them walk around in a basin with a 1/2 inch of warm soapy water it got soft and came off. If I didn't "soak" them first it was really hard to get it off even when I picked at it with my fingernails. I think they are too young to have bumble.

3. odysseychicken

Jul 21, 2015
    I wondered if that could be the case. Maybe I will send her for a foot soak at the spa. I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks

4. odysseychicken

Jul 21, 2015
    Well, it was poop after all. After a good foot soak I was able to get it off. Boy that stuff gets hard. I might consider using it as a wood filler.

Thanks for the suggestion.

5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    No problem!

Your post reminded me of my first time dealing with that, I thought the same thing you did, that they had growths or some kind of foot fungus! Glad it came off, and yes it would make great wood putty. ;0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by