Problem With Chicks Staying With Ducklings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EilighsFarm, Dec 20, 2014.

1. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2014
    Hello! Ive just opened up this new account and I'm learning how to use this website.

Anyway, I've been having a big problem with my chicks staying with my ducklings[​IMG]

At first when they were little i kept the ducklings in with the chicks until i realized that the chicks need medicated food and the ducklings can't have medicated food because, it can hurt them so i separated the ducklings from the chicks[​IMG]

Eventually when the chicks didnt need medicated food anymore I moved the chicks and 3 of the 4 ducklings in a coop outside with sarama hens. They are fine.[​IMG]

I have one duck in a separate coop because, it has a lame leg so the sarama hens peck it.[​IMG]

Im trying to move the saramas in with my big hens and, then put the duckling with the lame leg with my other ducklings/chicks.

They are now about 6-10 weeks old and my problem is that the ducklings need water to swim in.

The problem is that if i put a kiddie pool in with the ducklings (including the one with a lame leg) (the lame leg duckling can swim, I've been putting them in a tub to swim for now) the chicks will jump into the pool and drown[​IMG]

I don't know if they will jump in or stay clear but, i sure they will jump in because when they were younger they did that.

Also I don't really want to separate them because, I want them to grow up together and be used to each other.

Once they are old enough to free range i will let them free range with the pool out in the open.

So my final question is: Should I keep the ducklings with the chicks or should i separate them?

PLEASE HELP![​IMG]

-Thanks![​IMG]

P.s. SORRY THIS WAS SO LONG

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! It does sound that your in a bit of a pickle there as to what to do for the best. My personel opinion would be to keep them seperate I wouldn't want the chicks to be at risk of drowning. Is there anyway you could keep them next to each other so they can still see each other but separated by wire? That way they would still know each other and once they are bigger could all go into together with out the risk of drowning.

Also drop by the duck section for all the chat with duck experts https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    Thankyou! That sounds like the way to go! Wouldn't want the chicks to drown and, YES thankfully their is a way I can keep then next to each other but separated by wire!

Ill definitely check out the duck section of BYC.

I appreciate the fast reply.

-Thanks a ton![​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks, although I've had a few, but I never kept them with my chickens. Definitely post on our duck link that Yorkshire coop left you with and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. EilighsFarm

Dec 20, 2014
    Thanks to the both of you for introducing me to the duck side of BYC! Just made a post there a couple minutes ago and it looks like the place to go for help with water fowl!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you decided to join us.

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us. [​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by