1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problem with duck legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheraboo, Jul 3, 2009.

1. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Our Pekins are just over two weeks old now. One of them can hardly walk. I knew he was having problems but it seems to be getting worse rather than better [​IMG] The leg is really turned in and seems swollen around the knee (is it called a knee on a duck?). The other three seem to be headed the same way. They are getting around just fine but are walking kind of pigeon toed, if that makes sense. It's like one leg is straight and one is turning in. I'll try to get some pics to post but in the meantime - what can we do to help them out? We started with ten ducklings and lost six of them due to dehydration last week when my DH forgot to take care of them while the rest of us were gone to a 4H function. So we've got these four remaining and we just got ten more ducklings yesterday (all of which are fine). We've raised meat birds (chickens and turkeys) but this is our first year with ducks and I just don't know what to do.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Do you give them any brewer's yeast? They need extra niacin in their diets, or it will cause leg problems. Just get the powder or crush up some pills and mix it with their food, it should straighten out. [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Niacin can really help heal the legs on ducks.....you can buy it at walmart and break the little pill in half and give once a day until the duck is better. if nothing else make sure it gets lots of fresh grass.

ETA: sorry shelley, didn't read your reply before I sent one.....either one should help.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks guys! I'll see which I can find and give it a try.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Both the brewer's yeast and the niacin tablets should be in the vitamin section of the store. Brewer's yeast powder would be in the grocery section.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mrs. Turbo :

Niacin can really help heal the legs on ducks.....you can buy it at walmart and break the little pill in half and give once a day until the duck is better. if nothing else make sure it gets lots of fresh grass.

ETA: sorry shelley, didn't read your reply before I sent one.....either one should help.

Not a problem! Like you said, either one will do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by