Problem with FF

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickNanny13, Oct 29, 2015.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I've done FF in the past but for some reason my "mixture" is not fermenting :( It's only been a day but I recall the past bubbling already. I'm starting with a cup of chick starter since I'm getting only 4 tomorrow, I added 1T ACV/Bragg, water covering the feed, mixing 3x day got a lid sitting on the container. Am I missing something?

2. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    It'll ferment eventually. When it was bubbling after a day previously, was that with fresh water, fresh food, fresh air, and the same temperatures you have now? In the meantime, moistening the feed is still useful.

3. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Suterine - Yup, always started with fresh water, fresh feed and air, however the temperature & humidity has been extreme this year. Thinking that maybe the change. Also in the past I used a 2 gal glass cookie jar, started this one in plastic. So got a mason jar and started over after I was told I maybe using too much water & ACV. This batch is day two, consistency thicker than the first time I did FF, I noticed some air pockets in the "mush" so think it's happening. Humidity has been horrible this Summer (Hawaii) so maybe less water (mushy with no water top) is the way to go. Did start them on the ACV water, one day & I can smell & see the difference in their poop :) Can't wait to start the FF, with my past birds it made a big difference :)

4. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    Oh yeah, if it's thin the bubbles will go up and out. A thicker mix will hold the carbon dioxide until you disturb the mush. I don't think I've ever smelt the mix itself -- just the air that's whipped up when I open the bucket and start stirring.

5. redsix

redsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    Virginia
    It may take 2 or 3 days for it to ferment. Keep smelling it. I keep my FF mix in the garage. I've noticed since the weather has started getting cooler it is taking longer for the feed to ferment. Back in the summer, I could add new feed to what was left of the previous day's batch and the whole mixture smelled soured in 24 hours. I mix equal parts feed and water.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

If its outside, its slow because its cold. I have 3 pumpkins filled with FF going right now as a 2 part experiment; one is outside, one in the garage, and one in the house. The one in the house is smelly and bubbly, the garage one is so/so, and the one outside took most of yesterday thawing before I could even get it open :p

Move it to a warmer spot if its taking too long; it may help :)

7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Ok, discovered the 'problem' and did more reading and got all you helping....THANK YOU! The Fermented Feed thread is so long but informative.

I'm using Chick Starter (medicated) when time will be changing to Egg Maker....Think I was using too much water, it's cooler even in Hawaii whereas in the past I was raising during the spring/summer months, kept in the patio & had the water about an inch above the mash. I read a ratio of 1:1 is a good mix, gets it to a oatmeal consistency, less straining. I just keep adding daily to whatever is left at the bottom & keeping it in the house next to the stove.

THANK YOU everyone for your support....Love this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by