1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problem with hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenMamee, Mar 6, 2017.

1. chickenMamee

chickenMamee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    Hernando, MS
    8 days ago my hen had an egg burst inside of her. I immediately started powder antibiotics. She's been in a separate coop and on the medicated water since.
    She eats and drinks fine but today she passed a soft egg which was more like a deflated sack. I don't know what to do for her. Is the soft egg a sign of infection?
    The medicine I have her on is Oxytetracycline. What else should I do for her? Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give her some calcium in a human Tums or a calcium tablet, crushing them into a treat of yogurt or scrambled eggs if she will take it. Or pulverize aome egg shells with egg and feed it to her. She may mot be getting enough calcium in her diet, but some hens have a problem with their shell glands where they don't make normal hard shells. This breaking of eggs inside sets them up with infection. Internal laying, salpingitis, and egg yolk peritonitis are several of the ailments common in chickens with reproductive disorders. Try to get her to eat and drink and make her comfortable. With the antibiotics that is about all you can do, short of getting suprelorin hormone implants to stop laying for several months at a time.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickenMamee

Aug 28, 2015
    Hernando, MS
    She's always been on layer pellets and I've never had issues with egg shells being soft except when they first started laying. I'll keep her on the antibiotic for a few more days and watch her carefully. She eats normal and seems to be feeling okay at this point. I'm really hoping that she'll make a full recovery. Thank you for your help.

4. chickenMamee

Aug 28, 2015
    Hernando, MS
    Okay, I'm at a loss as to how to help my hen. She has been off antibiotics now for three days. She's laid an egg for the last few days that has no shell at all. She knows she's going to lay an egg and gets in the laying box but it's just a runny egg and no shell. I have 9 hens and they all lay almost daily with no problems.
    They are on Layer Pellets and get Black Oil sunflower seeds as treats. Free range for 9 hours a day on pasture and have fresh water and access to their food at all times. Any suggestions welcome. [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you treated her with some extra calcium? She may need extra to what is in her layer feed. If that doesn't help, she may have a problem with her shell gland. I have a hen who lays one of those soft eggs almost every day from being injured by a dog. Sometimes viruses, mold toxin, or other causes can cause the soft or shell-less eggs. Liquid calcium is also available at feed stores. Vitamin D is also helpful. Caltrate and other calcium supplements have D as well. There is a good thread to read called "Common egg quality problems" here on BYC if you do a search or Google it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by