Problem with little legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneStarGrandma, Nov 22, 2008.

1. LoneStarGrandma

LoneStarGrandma New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Kerrville, Texas
    On the 13th of this month we bought 10 baby Orpingtons. Everything was fine for a while. In the last three days we have found a baby chick layiing on it's side legs either straight out behind their little bodies or laying with their legs (both) out to one side or the other. We have pine wood chips as bedding. We're using the chick starter feed. One of the three chicks only has a curled foot (left one) but that one's legs seem okay. We have separated these 3 from the others all of whom seem to be fine. We have them in the house because it's been rather cold here in Kerrville lately. Some sites suggest it's a lack of vitamin D. Or not enough natural sun light. They eat great. And are drinking out of an eye dropper (afraid to put open water in there for fear they'll drown). But drink fine. Poop fine. Just seems they legs won't support their weight. Please help. Margie [​IMG]

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I sure would try the vitamin drops of Poly Vi Sol on them. Make sure it's the kind WITHOUT iron, and I believe the dosage most posted on here is 3-5 drops along the beak for at least 5 days and taper off. Make sure you let them drink the drops in and don't force them or they can aspirate. You can find them in the vitamin section at Walmart and I'm sure at almost any pharmacy. They are children's liquid vitamins.
    I have always had one or two stragglers from each new chick flock and those drops work like a charm. I also use VetRX Poultry Remedy in their water when I give the Poly Vi Sol and taper off that in a couple weeks, then I put ACV in their water regularly.
    Hope this helps!

3. LoneStarGrandma

LoneStarGrandma New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Kerrville, Texas
    Thank you soooooo much. [​IMG] We're headed to Walmart this morning. To get what you suggested. Thanks again. Marge & David

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    You're so welcome! Please let us know how they do [​IMG]).
    Take care and have a great Thanksgiving. [​IMG]

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    The vitamin's is a good idea. I would also give them free choice of water. Marbles in the water will help prevent drowning accidents. My thoughts are that dehydration might be part of the problem. It might be something else entirely, but I would rule out vitamin deficiency and dehydration first.

Good luck with your little ones.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    You are watering all of them from an eyedropper? I can't imagine they are getting enough to drink- go to a feed store and get a chick waterer- they are plastic and cheap, and fairly safe. The marble think can make them safer, but I have yet to have a chick drown in one (I don't use marbles). Chicks drink lots of water, and do it 24hrs a day (unless you turn off the lights on them at night). You are running the risk of dehydrated chicks, I don't know if the symptoms you are seeing have anything to do with your watering system- but you can certainly save yourself alot of time and start letting them drink when they want to.

Maybe if they are dehydrated- you are seeing some sort of electrolyte imbalance. Muscle cramping or something.

Usually non infectious chick problems are due to feed issues and deficiencies. Is your food new (less than a month old), a commercial brand (not local milled), not from a bulk dispenser (never know how old it is), and not moldy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by