Problem With My Bantam Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Abronsyth, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Abronsyth

Abronsyth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Upstate NY
    On Friday we brought home 9 baby Old English Game bantams chicks and they have been doing fine...however, one of our little blues, Sassafras, seems to have injured her neck or head some how. She was fine most of the day, but when I came home from school I noticed she kept tilting her head to the side, as if she was looking up. However, once I started feeding them treats her head was back the way it's supposed to be and she was jumping in with the other 8...but just a few minutes ago my mom called me down to look at her. Now when ever she's standing or laying down her head is tilted on it's side. When she's grooming her head and neck seem fine, and she seems to be feeling okay, but I'm worried about her all the same.

They've been super rambunctious lately, running and attempting to fly and jumping and rough housing, so I'm worried she could have injured her neck or head while running around. She has not visible wounds and she walks alright...could she have gotten a concussion or had a seizure or something? The most we've ever dealt with to do with sick chickens was helping a depressed hen back to health after she'd stopped eating, and helping an egg bound bantam to pass her egg without it breaking. We've never had to deal with something like this before...so, any ideas or advice?​

2. Abronsyth

Abronsyth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Well, unfortunately we think she did indeed break her neck, and got so bad that we had to put her down. It was pretty upsetting...but, I guess those things do happen :( Picked up another Old English Game chick and accidentally added a dark Brahma bantam to the mix as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by