Problem with my drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CricketR4, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    I have 5 Indian Runners, 4 ducks, 1 drake. My drake is chasing some of my bantam chicken girls around and this morning I caught him mounting one and trying to mate with her. I need to separate the ducks, but since they are currently free range, I'm wondering how much space do they need? I'm going to be moving them into their own coop, and fencing off part of the yard for them, but not sure how much space I should give them. Any ideas?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If they are inside only at night, the house should be 2.5-4 sq ft per duck, this is for med-large breeds so 2.5-3 sq ft should be okay. If they are going to be kept in the house during the day, even occasionally, double that space. Yard should be 10-25 sq ft per.

I would at least contain him for now as if he mates with a chicken it can injure or kill her.

3. CricketR4

CricketR4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Mebane, NC
    Thank you for the sizes. We're going to put them in a converted horse stall that is around 8' X 10', and then put a door to the yard in one wall and then fence that off, so at the very least we'll need about 50 sq ft, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by