Problem with my new baby chick..help please..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wvchickenhouse, Dec 13, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    I have an Americauna EE chick, 4 days old. I noticed last night that under her neck, right side is protruded out some. It feels soft. Does anyone know what this might be. She got turned over for awhile and we found her and turned her back over. She's still chirping and eating. Any thoughts?? Thanks [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Could it be her crop full of food?

3. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:It is most likely her crop is filled with food. If she is acting normal and is eating, drinking and pooping I wouldn't worry. A picture might help but from what you described that would be my guess. A chicken's crop will be enlarged at night but should go down as the food is digested. Do you have chick grit? When my chicks are a few days old I start sprinkling it on their food just like if it were salt. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    It's probably a full crop!

As long as you are feeding grit with treats (Feed grit with anything exept starter)
    you'll be fine. As for turning over on her back, I have chicks that sleep that way
    [​IMG]
    I agree with the statement, she'll be fine, as long as she's eating, drinking & acting
    normal.

Best of wishes

5. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Thank you all so much! I appreciate the info...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by