Problem with new chickens

Aug 26, 2021
We bought a few chickens for the grandson back in July at our local Rural King. I had them in some old rabbit cages for a while until they got bigger and until I could build a new coop and run. I built a coop off the ground that is 6ft by 12ft. The chickens can go under the coop and have a run that is 6x10. So They have quite a bit of room. I put 6 nest boxes on the side of this coop and there is 3 stagger roosts the length of the coop. I put them in there yesterday. I put them in the coop. The found there way out in about 10 minutes. Last night they did not go back in the coop. Any suggestions? Will they eventually find their way in the coop?

My recent batch of 8 chicks were put inside their own coop 22.5 square feet at 4.5 weeks old.
I kept them locked inside coop till 6 weeks old.
Coop is shaded and windows open during the day.
20210614_170541_resized.jpg

When I did open pop-door it took them 3 days to venture outside.
20210704_102533_resized.jpg

When they did they slowly moved further from pop-door to explore their 200 square foot pen.
20210701_160816_resized.jpg

Most found their way inside coop at sunset on the first day. I had to show one the way in. All found their way after that.
They just turned 15 weeks old.
20210820_131848_resized_1.jpg

I opened nests boxes and put out a container of Oyster Shells.
20210825_091438_resized.jpg

The found there way out in about 10 minutes. Last night they did not go back in the coop. Any suggestions? Will they eventually find their way in the coop?
You'll probably have to show them the way inside a few days, maybe a week to 10 days. GC

Last edited:
Homing them to the coop is a good first step to get them familiar with the space, but you'll still have to show them how to go inside and put them in manually even if they are homed. Knowing the inside doesn't translate to knowing to go there from the outside. Chickens aren't all that bright :D It will take them a few days to get used to it. Put them in through the pop door and then close it. After a few days of this, start putting them partway up the ramp instead of in the doorway, and encourage them to walk the rest of the way up and in on their own. Then put them at the bottom of the ramp. Eventually they'll figure it out and start doing it on their own.

Back
Top Bottom