1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problem with newly hatched chick!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2kidsn'chickens, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 2kidsn'chickens

2kidsn'chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Greenfield, MA
    I work third shift and came home to find the third egg that had pipped had hatched but she has parts coming out of her navel!! It looks like the white part that was left in the other two eggs when they hatched and some bloody veining. I am not sure what or even how to describe it but things dont look like they've closed up and it's insides are coming out! HELP! I dont know what to do!
    Sara
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. 2kidsn'chickens

Feb 4, 2009
    Greenfield, MA
    A better shot of whats going on... do I need to cull it? I am about to cry! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I had one that did that for a few days and it was just the umbilacal cord and fell off within a couple days.

4. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    She should be fine. Hopefully that stuff 'll dry up and fall out. I'd put her seperate from the other chicks just so they don't mess with it.

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i agree with the above post. is she in any obvious pain or is she peeping loudly?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. 2kidsn'chickens

Feb 4, 2009
    Greenfield, MA
    Ok, she is peeping but not loudly and moving around then resting like a normal chick I guess but these are the first chickens I have ever had.. Thanks for all the quick replies! I guess I will just keep a close eye on her and see what happens!
    Being a chicken mom is so stressful! I managed to stay pretty calm during the whole incubation and now I am making up for it! lol.
    Thanks again everyone!
    Sara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by