Problem with pvc feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TexasSam, Oct 16, 2017.

1. TexasSam

TexasSam Chicken Obsessed

Jul 27, 2017
    Weatherford Texas
    IMG_1024.JPG I built a pvc feeder and the feed doesn't fall like it should what am I doing wrong

2. Elyrian1

Elyrian1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    My bet is on the 90 degree joints. If you use two 45s connected with a piece of straight pipe between them, I think your problem will resolve itself. I'm making several assumptions, the biggest of which is that you are feeding either pellet or crumble.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I agree completely that it's your elbows. The food won't flow around that. It gets jammed up. Don't know if 45's will fix it or not. But maybe! :)

penny1960 and nminusyplusm like this.
  4. LittleTreeGuy

LittleTreeGuy Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
    Elyrian1 is correct, somewhat.... This type of feeder relies on gravity and the weight of the food to pull the food into the bottom. The 90 degree bend in your pvc pip is actually working as a "bottle neck" and not letting the mass of the feed "spread out".

penny1960 and EggSighted4Life like this.
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Just curious, are you able to cove that at night to keep free loaders out? Rats are a huge problem and will even eat chicks/chickens alive!

Nice that you've got plenty of light for your coop in stead of a dungeon like my first build. :thumbsup

penny1960 likes this.
  6. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You need one of this in the middle of the distribution pipe.
    _DSC8064.jpg
    The 90° is the problem.

7. Elyrian1

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Dumb question I'm sure I'll have a duh moment afterward, but how does the T intersection alleviate the bottleneck?

penny1960 likes this.
  8. hlhutchinson

hlhutchinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2015
    Casper Wyo
    I have one too that does that I though it was because my pvc is only 1 1/2 in not the 3 in that I see people using. When I mounted it I even put it on a slight angle so gravity would be helped out but nop still gets blocked and I have to use my finger and push the feed down into the strait pvc. I think I will try the 45 and see if that helps.
    IMG_8463.JPG

Smuvers Farm likes this.
  9. LittleTreeGuy

LittleTreeGuy Just Hatched

Dec 9, 2016
    Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
    Yea, feed just doesn't flow very well. Scientifically, probably because there is too much friction or something like that with all of the tiny particles. For example, if it was full of marbles, they'd have no issue rolling to the bottom.

Now, if you were to change the design a little, and use more than one pipe, it could solve the issue... more pipes to fill, but would last the same amount of time, I suppose... (this isn't my photo, I saw it on pinterest)

upload_2017-10-16_17-2-38.png

RollTideChicken and penny1960 like this.
  10. Elyrian1

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I had a setup almost exactly like that LittleTreeGuy. It did work wonderfully I must admit.

penny1960 and LittleTreeGuy like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by