Problem with rooster collar?

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
So first off, this rooster collar was on a hen to quite her extremely loud and constant egg song (I am an outlaw owner) I have 8 hens, only 4 of which sing, 2 of the four sing loud, constantly and early (very distressing as an outlaw). I made 3 IDENTICAL collars, just an 7-8 inch Velcro strap, 1.5 wide. I tested it out on 3 singers yesterday and fed the girls many treats and watched them for at least 3hrs solid just to see they were alright, they were. This morning, went to check, still fine, fed them, all 3 collared girls ate normally, fast and vigorous as always. Went to work, came back and NOW 2 loud collared girls are acting stand off ish and wouldn't eat their treats, they would pick it up in their beaks and drop it. I had refreshed the chicken water about an hour before the treats and could hear the hens breathe, not heavy and had to listen closely to hear it at all. I didn't like this and was over come with guilt so I hurried in and took off both their collars (had to hunt them down as they wouldn't let me near them which is understandable). Almost immediately they went back to normal and started eating their treats.

Do you think they were all right? Or just upset at me? The third hen, which I think had the tightest collar even tho she's the quietest singer, was completely fine.

They were fine up until almost 24hrs after the collar had been put on

The collars work by strangling when the neck is in a stretched position. They are probably being choked. Best to maybe not keep chickens until you get some where they are allowed, it's not fair for the chickens, they are doing what's natural.

Although that may have been the case that they were being choked, I don't think they were. I made certain after placing the collar that they could still eat and drink normally, I could even fit my whole pinky under the collar. As well as them staying alive and laying the following day.

Does anyone with experience with the collars know if the chickens get a bit upset following the collar ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom