Problem with Rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erin272, Feb 5, 2013.

1. erin272

erin272 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Good Morning, I have a Rhode Island Red rooster "Pip Pip" that suddenly last week lost his crow and also couldn't make all the little noises that he normally would make. He is only a little over 1 year old. The following day he was wheezy breathing and I ended up taking him to the vet. They think he may have ate something and it went down the wrong way and is blocking part of his airway. He is eating, drinking, chasing the hens and acting perfectly normal except for the wheezy breathing and not being able to make sounds. The vet put him under gas to just see if we could see anything, but we had no luck. When he woke up he wasn't wheezing as bad so we think the blockage moved a bit. However, today I noticed him wheezing again. She gave me Baytril antibiotic to give him twice a day for 10 days just to be on the safe side. I'm pretty worried about him and I'm just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before and if you have any advice or suggestions to help him?
    Thanks!

2. erin272

erin272 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Well Pip Pip the Rooster seems worse today, when my daughter brought him in for his antibiotics he is finding it harder to breathe. He is not only making the gasping sound while breathing in, he is also starting to make a sound breathing out. He was also acting more laid back than usual. He did eat some scrambled eggs with coconut oil in them. I don't think he is eating his laying mash because he pooped on the floor and it was just clear and white liquid. He just took his 5th dose of antibiotics (Baytril) I don't know whether to give him more time or call the vet and put him down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by